yz426f part indenifacation and cam inspection

9 replies to this topic
  • bakeyz426f

Posted August 16, 2009 - 09:10 AM

my cam feels rough on the center lobe so i assume i have to replace it. also this part was damaged on my bike and need to know if im able to buy it without buying a whole new cylinder head.

cam
Posted Image

part i couldnt find to buy on oem parts fider. it is included in the cylinder head assmbly but i couldnt find a number on it. has a chip of metal out of it so it needs to be replaced.
Posted Image
Posted Image

• grayracer513

Posted August 16, 2009 - 10:56 AM

Your pictures are too far out of focus to be useful in any way.

The cam saddle caps are never sold separately because the caps are bolted to the head when the cam bores are finished. That assures that the bores are truly round. The caps are only available with the head for that reason, and you should never attempt to use one from a different head.

However, the head is repairable. Companies such as Engine Dynamics can redo the cam bores for a surprisingly low cost, and you'll be back in business.

• bakeyz426f

Posted August 16, 2009 - 11:17 AM

so they can fix this part with the head? is engine dynamics about the same price as millenium. also do i need a new cam or can they repair the center lobe. it feels rough around the top of the center lobe.

• grayracer513

Posted August 16, 2009 - 12:16 PM

Replace the cam.

• bakeyz426f

Posted August 16, 2009 - 03:25 PM

will yhey be able to fix that cam cap and use it because it chipped a little metal of one edge

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bakeyz426f

Posted August 16, 2009 - 06:28 PM

does my cam cap look repairable. i really dont wont to have to buy another head.
Posted Image

Posted Image

• bakeyz426f

Posted August 16, 2009 - 07:52 PM

when i replace the crank do i need to get the bearings and gear that arent included in the assembly.

• USED YZ426F

Posted August 17, 2009 - 05:59 AM

I would think that a descent machine shop would be able to repair the cam cap as well. Add a little aluminum filler material and machine it as necessary. Make sure that you send the cam cap with the head to your repair shop and ask them to look at it also.

• USED YZ426F

Posted August 17, 2009 - 06:00 AM

when i replace the crank do i need to get the bearings and gear that arent included in the assembly.

Replace the bearings at the same time. It is cheap insurance to guard against a future repair bill.

• grayracer513

Posted August 17, 2009 - 08:20 AM

does my cam cap look repairable.

I already told you it is. That little nick is inconsequential unless it's also cracked.

Bearings, yes. If you mean the crankshaft cam drive sprocket, that is cut directly on the left crank axle, and if worn out or damaged, the left side of the crank, or a complete crank, must be purchased. But that also means the new crank comes with it.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.