RE:Milky Oil

11 replies to this topic
  • MountainMax

Posted August 15, 2009 - 04:05 PM

Hey guys, I finally had a problem with my beloved 2006 WR450 with almost 7000km on her. Im seeing alot of milk in the oil, Im guessing it's coolant however the overflow bottle is not low, but it don't take much to contaminate it. I flushed the system out three times, getting her hot between each time. The oil looked like new after the second flush but done another one for good measure. About a week later the oil was just like a milkshake again. Are these known for cracking heads or leaking head gaskets? I always noticed a little milky sludge in my oil filter whenever I changed it for the last 2 years so that never worried me but this does. Any suggestions? if it is the head or gasket how hard is it to change? any links to how to videos or anything to help? I have the manual but like to see a video or hear from others who done it first...... Thanks in advance.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted August 15, 2009 - 05:02 PM

Hey guys, I finally had a problem with my beloved 2006 WR450 with almost 7000km on her. Im seeing alot of milk in the oil, Im guessing it's coolant however the overflow bottle is not low, but it don't take much to contaminate it. I flushed the system out three times, getting her hot between each time. The oil looked like new after the second flush but done another one for good measure. About a week later the oil was just like a milkshake again. Are these known for cracking heads or leaking head gaskets? I always noticed a little milky sludge in my oil filter whenever I changed it for the last 2 years so that never worried me but this does. Any suggestions? if it is the head or gasket how hard is it to change? any links to how to videos or anything to help? I have the manual but like to see a video or hear from others who done it first...... Thanks in advance.

I think it is more likely to be the waterpump seal?

• tribalbc

Posted August 15, 2009 - 05:02 PM

Have you done the impeller/ water pump seals before.
I did mine on my 07 at around 7000km and my impeller shaft was heavily grooved.
I was getting coolant out the weep hole though, I've never had any milkiness to my oil.

• MountainMax

Posted August 15, 2009 - 06:38 PM

im not loosing anything out my weep hole, can it still be the waterpump seals? I have never had it apart

• tribalbc

Posted August 15, 2009 - 07:15 PM

Maybe the weep hole is plugged ???
That would explain it getting in the motor.
It's really easy, manual covers it all. Lot's of bolts but if you have an impact drill they come out fast :thumbsup:
That would be the first place I looked, the impeller shaft seems to be a bit of a weak point.

• MountainMax

Posted May 01, 2011 - 04:21 PM

Sorry to bring this up again but I have changed my waterpump seals twice now, and the shaft the second time, still getting milk in the oil. Where do I go from here?????

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GuyGraham

Posted May 02, 2011 - 09:56 AM

are you getting it hot enough?

I had milky oil, when riding on the road, as I couldn't get the motor / oil hot enough to evaporate the condensation off
Using the bike off road, as designed, eliminates this problem

I think the fact the bike has tow huge rads with no thermostat results in overcooling if you're using it on the road

• SilvFx

Posted May 02, 2011 - 01:22 PM

Mountain Max,

You have probably already done this, but I will ask anyhow....did you put the seals in the correct way? They should be designed to use the crankcase pressure or coolant system pressure to push the seals tighter against the rotating shaft.

The only other idea I have, is that on my old Honda CR250R, coolant ate right through my aluminum/magnesium crankcase cover (had that same thing happen to my 1970 Buick GS 455 as well) and created pinhole size openings between cooling system and crankcase). I didn't notice until i saw coolant weeping out a hole in crankcase and them found my tranny fluid was pink due to coolant infiltration.

Could it be leaking into the crankcase from elsewhere besides the waterpump?

• MountainMax

Posted May 02, 2011 - 01:49 PM

I did put them in the correct way, I asked about this in another thread so I could see pictures, the spring parts goes towards the oil and coolant, facing away from each other from the center out right? I have another set of seals im putting in now and another shaft and will see what happens. It's all apart now waiting for me to put it back together, being careful not to damage the seals and make sure they are installed correct. I do get it hot, even though i use it on the road, i go off road alot and get her hot, I wondered if i may have got it too hot and damaged a head gasket, but that should make it burn the coolant instead of dumping it in the coolant....

• Birdy426

Posted May 03, 2011 - 04:29 AM

When you get it back together, if yu still have problems, take it toa radiator shop and have them pressure check the coolant system (otr pick up a test kit at Harbor Freight (about a hundred bucks) and test it yourself. Basically, you will pressurize the cooling system to a couple psi with sop air. If there are leaks in the system, it won't hold pressure. You can use a stethescope to listen for leaks to at least find the general area of the leak, and tear down and inspect as appropriate.

• 10wr450

Posted May 03, 2011 - 05:39 AM

If your weep hole is not pluged and your noy getting any coolant out of the weep hole it not likely that your water pump is the problem. have you had the right crankcase cover off and replaced the gasket and o ring on the coolant passage? if you have,well it sucks to say but its possiblly the cylinder to crankcase gasket or head gasket. before you get that far into it, are you sure its coolant getting in or could it be a broken crankcase vent line letting outside water in while you ride and or when you wash the bike?

• tribalbc

Posted May 03, 2011 - 05:43 AM

If your weep hole is not pluged and your noy getting any coolant out of the weep hole it not likely that your water pump is the problem. have you had the right crankcase cover off and replaced the gasket and o ring on the coolant passage? if you have,well it sucks to say but its possiblly the cylinder to crankcase gasket or head gasket. before you get that far into it, are you sure its coolant getting in or could it be a broken crankcase vent line letting outside water in while you ride and or when you wash the bike?

Good stuff there. I would replace the dowel and oring inside your right case first, likely culprit.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.