Scott vs. Ohlins 2.0 steering dampener for my 09' YZ450

28 replies to this topic
  • saccityfire

Posted August 16, 2009 - 09:17 PM

Gray, Is the Scotts dampener unit itself the same weather it was initially sold for street or MX. I found a used one from an 03' R1. I figure if it is the same, I will just get a mount.

Thanks!

• grayracer513

Posted August 17, 2009 - 08:11 AM

As far as I know, it is the same unit. The extensive adjustability of the unit makes it possible for it to serve a number of applications well.

• Wfomx463

Posted August 17, 2009 - 10:01 AM

I was told that the dampers are different internally. different damping and shims. may be able to be adjusted but not the same. plus unit should be rebuilt every year anyways. cost of used damper+rebuild almost as much as a new one.

• nickeenoo

Posted August 17, 2009 - 10:16 AM

Gray, Is the Scotts dampener unit itself the same weather it was initially sold for street or MX. I found a used one from an 03' R1. I figure if it is the same, I will just get a mount.

Thanks!

There is one substantial difference between the street and dirt versions of the Scotts:

If it was made for street then it has return to center damping. If it was made for MX then it has no return to center damping. Other than that there is not much internal difference. Some guys who like the adjustability of the Scotts but prefer the return to center damping of some of the other brands get the Scotts street version.

I just got the MX version because that's what the majority of dirt bikers get from Scotts. Also I have ridden with my buddies GPR and don't like the stiff feeling it gives with the return to center damping.

Nate

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • saccityfire

Posted August 17, 2009 - 10:45 AM

I just got off the phone with the guy from Scott's. He said the internal valving is different. I didn't ask him about return to center dampening. I'm gonna get the MX version new and call it good.

Thanks again for everything guys!!

• nickeenoo

Posted August 17, 2009 - 12:41 PM

I just got off the phone with the guy from Scott's. He said the internal valving is different. I didn't ask him about return to center dampening. I'm gonna get the MX version new and call it good.

Thanks again for everything guys!!

The valving is different; one dampens back to center the other does not. Either way the Scotts is a great choice.

• Kasjok

Posted August 17, 2009 - 11:29 PM

Hoe hard would it be to convert road version to off-road version? Is it simply a matter of shuffling shims or is there more differences?

• nickeenoo

Posted August 18, 2009 - 05:31 AM

Hoe hard would it be to convert road version to off-road version? Is it simply a matter of shuffling shims or is there more differences?

Not sure, you might shoot an email to Scotts. I would assume it is no more difficult than changing the valving in a fork or shock. Whether it is cost effective or not is another issue.

Nate

• SXP

Posted August 18, 2009 - 05:54 AM

There are no shims in a Scotts damper. The damper is essentially a large chamber with a vane that moves the oil from one side of the chamber to the other via small orifices. I imagine changing the diameter of these orifices would serve the same function as re-shimming/valving in order to effect damping.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Supercross

Wilson the Blue Privateer by jetfuel

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  50 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On January 15, 2017
Forums
Photo

05 yz450f not fast enough by RedeyeYZ

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  38 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.