04 YZ450 Susp. Question

4 replies to this topic
  • sauger

Posted August 14, 2009 - 09:10 AM

I just picked up a 2004 YZ450 from my buddy. I will be using the bike primarily for trails/woods, occasional practice on a MX track, and 5-6 supermoto race weekends per year. I'm a 30+ C level rider, 200 lbs without gear.

so after talking to the guy who sold the bike to my buddy, it turns out that the bike has 2001 YZ426 triples, forks, and shock on it.

I will obviously want to have it setup for my weight and the types of riding that I'll be doing, and I realize that there is a big difference in setup for woods vs SM. what I'm trying to figure out now is should I bother with trying to setup the 426 suspension, or go ahead and swap back to 2004 450 parts, or upgrade even further to a later model suspension?

• grayracer513

Posted August 14, 2009 - 11:38 AM

The '04 stuff is a significant upgrade to the 426 fork unless they have been heavily reworked by someone who really know his stuff. The later forks are even better.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sauger

Posted August 14, 2009 - 05:35 PM

are the 05 - ? model year triples/forks compatible with the 04 frame, wheels, brakes?

• grayracer513

Posted August 14, 2009 - 07:21 PM

• sauger

Posted August 14, 2009 - 07:34 PM

excellent, thank you

Related Content

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.