Flywheel weight?

17 replies to this topic
  • Chazlom

Posted August 13, 2009 - 04:18 PM

I have a Dr.D 8 oz flywheel from my 03 YZ450F, Will that fit on my Bro's 06 YZ450F??

Thanks,

Chaz

• DPW

Posted August 13, 2009 - 04:31 PM

No it will not fit...

06-09 ....correct pic posted this time

Posted Image

03-05

Posted Image

see the difference?

• Chazlom

Posted August 13, 2009 - 04:38 PM

Thanks DPW for the quick response! :thumbsup:
Yep, they look different, mine looks exactly like the top picture.

Chaz.

• Mighty_Whitey

Posted August 13, 2009 - 04:42 PM

Chaz,

If yours looks like the top picture than I'm on my way over! Err, or did you mean the bottom picture?

MW

• Chazlom

Posted August 13, 2009 - 04:50 PM

Your right, now i'm confused. On the Dr.D site it shows the picture for the 03 thru 05, yet mine looks just like the top picture??

Posted Image
I took this off of my 03... along with a trailtech 10oz and a GYTR 5oz??

• grayracer513

Posted August 13, 2009 - 04:52 PM

Sorry guys, the top picture in DPW's post is NOT an '06-9 flywheel. it's the heavier of the two GYT-R wheels for the '03-'05. The newer design has the flywheel "inside out". Yamaha posted the wrong picture on their site.

• Mighty_Whitey

Posted August 13, 2009 - 05:05 PM

:thumbsup: Thanks Gray, as usual with the in depth knowledge.

Now, do I get the 4.83 or the 9.21oz - Gray, what am I going to notice in difference?

Chaz, I'll order one and come by with a 6 pack next week. That's 4 for me and 2 for you since you'll be doing the wrenching. :-)

http://www.powerpart...r-flywheel.aspx
Posted Image

• Chazlom

Posted August 13, 2009 - 05:10 PM

Thanks Gray, I was starting to think its not the ring (weight) that makes the difference, but the crank size and shape of the inside of the wheel. (If that makes any since). Anyway it's understood that there is a difference from 05 to 06, and my flywheel won't fit on an 06.

Thanks again,

Chaz

• DPW

Posted August 13, 2009 - 05:11 PM

I have the GYTR® Off-Road Flywheel # GYT-2S297-50-50 extremely happy with it. I ride MX mostly..sorry for the goof...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mighty_Whitey

Posted August 13, 2009 - 06:21 PM

Thanks for your opinion DPW, so you have the heavier of the two offered by GYTR. I ride mostly MX but was thinking of this for a upcoming trip to Kennedy Meadows. I usually gear very low by adding a tooth in the rear and taking one away on the counter sprocket. That's about 3 total in gearing terms but I really lose the high speed ability during the meadows sections.

Hoping this will give me that tractor-ability down low where I can keep the gearing relatively neutral.

-Doug

• grayracer513

Posted August 13, 2009 - 06:54 PM

DPW has the same flywheel I do, and if I'm not mistaken, he rides mostly MX, whereas I ride mostly desert.

IMO, the bike should have been built with this flywheel.

I used the lighter flywheel for a while in my '03, and it was a waste of time. The heavier of the two is definitely the way to go.

• cowboyona426

Posted August 13, 2009 - 07:00 PM

FWIW I have the heavy "off road" flywheel on my 06 and I didn't notice much of a difference. Some yes, but not near as much as I expected.

• grayracer513

Posted August 13, 2009 - 07:28 PM

Where I saw the greatest effect was in how smoothly the engine pulls at lower RPM's now.

• rexbond007

Posted August 13, 2009 - 07:45 PM

i guess a flywheel weight has no effect with a rekluse,

• Chazlom

Posted August 13, 2009 - 08:27 PM

On my 03 I ran every conceivable combo possible, hard to imagine. (Check out my garage). I ran the 5oz GYTR, 8oz Dr D, and the 10 oz Trailtech, with and without an auto clutch. I was running an EMF autoclutch back in the day, purchased from Brian Bosch himself.
I ride MX and Desert and with all the mods I found the 10 oz to be the best for my style, it really tamed the power out to make the bike rideable, it would really wear on you during a long Grand Prix. In retrospect I really overdid things.... except the bike was a total hillshooter in Glamis.
With the heavy flywheel and the autoclutch all my buddies called my bike the PW-450. :thumbsup:

• DPW

Posted August 14, 2009 - 05:46 AM

DPW has the same flywheel I do, and if I'm not mistaken, he rides mostly MX, whereas I ride mostly desert.

IMO, the bike should have been built with this flywheel.

I used the lighter flywheel for a while in my '03, and it was a waste of time. The heavier of the two is definitely the way to go.

I agree 100%, very inexpensive and easy mod also.

• grayracer513

Posted August 14, 2009 - 06:26 AM

i guess a flywheel weight has no effect with a rekluse,

Not true. It still improves the low RPM performance of the engine.

• cowboyona426

Posted August 14, 2009 - 07:21 AM

Where I saw the greatest effect was in how smoothly the engine pulls at lower RPM's now.

I saw some improvement, but not as much as I expected from what I read on here.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.