yz426 grey oil

9 replies to this topic

Posted August 13, 2009 - 12:32 PM

I change my oil every ten hours atleast but after my last one only being 5 hours into it i notice my oil turned a greyish colour im woundering why that is,

• cowboyona426

Posted August 13, 2009 - 12:39 PM

Coolant in the oil, or you sucked up some water somehow.

Posted August 13, 2009 - 12:46 PM

is coolant in the oil bad for the bike if being ridden still?

• chunk3rs

Posted August 13, 2009 - 01:11 PM

Yes it is.

• cowboyona426

Posted August 13, 2009 - 01:32 PM

You won't want to ride it anymore until you get it fixed. Could be a head gasket leak, or it could be much worse.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mxmaddman

Posted August 13, 2009 - 01:39 PM

I change my oil every ten hours atleast but after my last one only being 5 hours into it i notice my oil turned a greyish colour im woundering why that is,

You might just have sucked some water into the breather or something. Did you go into deep water? powerwash it and get water in it?

Pressure test the radiator system to be sure.

DONT RIDE IT LIKE THAT

• grayracer513

Posted August 13, 2009 - 01:39 PM

The color is important, as is the texture.

If it's truly grey, and still looks like oil, it may be an indication of a severe wear condition having occurred.

If it's a creamy, foamy beige color, that's either water or coolant. Running coolant in the oil is something like running sand in it, except sand won't dissolve the glue that holds your clutch linings together, or coat all the steel parts with a rusty scum. Water or coolant causes the oil to foam severely into a milkshake texture that has almost no ability to lube anything. Otherwise, there's nothing wrong with it.

Posted August 13, 2009 - 01:56 PM

k well i just had my bottom drain bolt tapped out im thinking it oculd be the metal shavings thats disscoloured my oil?

• grayracer513

Posted August 13, 2009 - 02:03 PM

No, that wouldn't do it.

Posted August 13, 2009 - 02:15 PM

well ill jus bring it in and ask aabout it, thank guys

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.