Gold Valves for '08 WR450F ?

12 replies to this topic
  • WR450FGreg

Posted August 13, 2009 - 11:22 AM

Guys,

I am considering fitting RaceTech Gold Valves to the forks of my '08 WR450F.
Never bought any before, so I'm completely "green" here!

Are there different options with them?

Where is the best place to buy them?
(I'm in Australia and would prefer to buy local, but will purchase from overseas if necessary.)

They aren't listed for this model in the Thumpertalk store links and I'm reluctant to order them for another model (that is supposed to fit perhaps) because I remember reading claims that some other version fits this bike and in fact they didn't when the guy got them!
I need the catalogue/listing to say: "2008 WR450F". Not "2006 YZ450F" or whatever. I want to be sure!
Ok, I admit, I'm anal in this regard! :thumbsup:

Cheers,
Greg

• grayracer513

Posted August 13, 2009 - 03:19 PM

The late WR uses the same basic 48mm fork as the '04 YZ450, but the dampers are a different size, so no, parts from other bikes won't fit.

IMO, gold valves don't accomplish anything in and of themselves, and they aren't worth buying. The idea behind them is that they "cure" some weakness or shortcoming in the stock damper piston, and in the case of the late KYB pistons, there is no such fault to correct. All one needs to do is radius the sharp corners a bit (carefully), and that's it.

Revalving, or in the case of the open bath KYB fork, revising the valving, is the way to go. Dave Johnson at Smart Performance has a DIY kit available, if you're up for that, or he can do it for you. He really knows this older style of fork as no one else does.

• WR_Dave

Posted August 13, 2009 - 04:37 PM

Grayracer is right, it's the valving that is the issue with the WR stock suspension. I had the Pro-Action valving installed and it is like a new bike. I will have a hard time letting the suspension go when it comes time to replace the WR. There is a dealer near you in NZ ( http://www.pro-action.com/pro6.htm ) . WR Dave

• Deserthound

Posted August 13, 2009 - 07:45 PM

I'll have to agree with Grayracer on the gold valve part of it. I installed them front and rear and have to say, it was a huge improvement but, was a little surprised at the similarity of the stock valves to the gold ones. Like Gray said, a little work on the stockers probably would have accomplished the same thing. Most of the improvement IMHO comes from the shim stacks. The part I did like about the RT kit is that it gives step by step instructions with a video. I wouldn't even have attempted this until a buddy of mine loaned me his video and I saw how simple it is.

Next time I'll be able to rework the valving myself, but I think it was worth the expense for a first timer.

Oh...and by the way. Which ever way you decide to go, do the shock too. I rode mine with just the forks done and it showed just how bad the stock shock is.

• WR450FGreg

Posted August 14, 2009 - 03:44 AM

Thanks guys.

I will re-think my plan of attack.
I had a look and I like that SMART Performance kit.

Cheers,
Greg

• idamoh

Posted August 14, 2009 - 06:04 AM

Check out this thread. It has some pics of stock WR suspension vs. the Gold Valve Suspension. After doing it myself I think you could probably use the stock valve add some shims and get similar performance to the Gold Valves.

http://www.thumperta...r450 suspension

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted August 14, 2009 - 06:42 AM

That's the thing: When the Gold Valves are installed, they are almost always put in place along with other mods to the valve stack, so when you get done, the suspension works better because of the improvement to the valving, and undue credit is given to the Gold Valve piston.

• WR450FGreg

Posted August 14, 2009 - 01:53 PM

I've corresponded with SMART and it sounds like their kit might possibly make my forks a bit too harsh and racer-like than I need.

I no longer race in the dirt (just roadrace occasionally on the TZs).
The riding I do these days is just fast trail riding, with the occasional run on an MX track. (I hover around 75-80kg or 165-175lb)
My forks bottom occasionally on the trail rides and (both ends actaully) often on the MX tracks. I've raised my fork oil levels already which improved this over how bad it was.
I don't want to lose too much of the plushness in the initial stroke, just want to firm up the last half of it.

Ballards, here in Australia reckon the valve spring in the damper unit is the main problem. (Loses it's tension and affects damping adversely). If I can eliminate that and add some different shims, achieving the ride I am after I will be happy.

But where do I start?
What size/thickness shims etc.?

BTW I will look at the shock after this is sorted, then fine tune the two to match.

Greg

• tribalbc

Posted August 14, 2009 - 03:05 PM

I've corresponded with SMART and it sounds like their kit might possibly make my forks a bit too harsh and racer-like than I need.

I no longer race in the dirt (just roadrace occasionally on the TZs).
The riding I do these days is just fast trail riding, with the occasional run on an MX track. (I hover around 75-80kg or 165-175lb)
My forks bottom occasionally on the trail rides and (both ends actaully) often on the MX tracks. I've raised my fork oil levels already which improved this over how bad it was.
I don't want to lose too much of the plushness in the initial stroke, just want to firm up the last half of it.

Ballards, here in Australia reckon the valve spring in the damper unit is the main problem. (Loses it's tension and affects damping adversely). If I can eliminate that and add some different shims, achieving the ride I am after I will be happy.

But where do I start?
What size/thickness shims etc.?

BTW I will look at the shock after this is sorted, then fine tune the two to match.

Greg

This is why personally I think the Gold Valves are good value. I don't know about Aus but here in Can I can get Gold Valves delivered to my door for about $150 all in ordering from the US.
When you figure in a revalve will cost me $250 plus shipping, plus shipping every time I change.
Like you I've never revalved suspension so wouldn't know where to start. Here they give you a baseline, plus extra shims for changing. Just saving the headache of finding shims ( I live in a remote place ) and finding settings that would work for you is good value IMO.

Who cares if it's not the actual valve that makes the difference as long as you get what you consider good value for your money. It's really a moot point IMO.

• grayracer513

Posted August 14, 2009 - 07:33 PM

Greg,

You need to take your question to the Suspension Forum here and run it by the tuners who hang out there.

• aruggiero

Posted August 24, 2009 - 12:22 PM

What springs anf fork rates are you guys useing
Stock is
fork.46
shock 5.4
I'm 215 a-enduro
any ideas?

• tribalbc

Posted August 24, 2009 - 01:33 PM

Well I'm 190lbs no gear, hare scrambles and enduro's A class

I'm
0.48 front
5.5 rear- which is stock but I've shed high battery and exhaust weight. I'm also using the YZ Ti spring

My guess for you would be
0.50 front
5.8 rear

Go to Race Techs website and use the spring calculator, it seems to be pretty acurate.

• idamoh

Posted August 25, 2009 - 08:23 AM

I'm 6'6", 250 lbs, and I'm 6.7 on rear .52 front. They told me because of my height i tend to put more weight over the rear, so that's why that spring rate is so high.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.