WR450F Range

10 replies to this topic
  • garhar

Posted August 13, 2009 - 10:42 AM

I currently own a '04 WR250F that I dual sport (90% dirt - 10% street) and my range on 1 tank of gas is about 120 miles. What is the range of the 450? From what I am reading here it is only about 60 miles - that would not be acceptable. I know I could add a bigger tank but I like the light weight of the 250 and a 450 with a bigger tank my be to much to handle. I am only thinking about upgrading because of the added power - it sounds like it is a monster compared to the 250 and that power intrigues me.

• garhar

Posted August 14, 2009 - 11:18 AM

24 hours and no responce........ anybody out there?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted August 14, 2009 - 03:45 PM

Hundreds and hundreds of posts about this.

The search feature is your friend.

You can expect 45-75 miles on a tank till reserve. Depends on jetting, riding style, pipe, etc.

I get about 50 riding hard on the street with an un-corked and re-jetted '03.

If mileage is that important, stick with the smaller motors.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted August 14, 2009 - 05:03 PM

24 hours and no responce........ anybody out there?

What are you expecting to hear? You already read that its about 60 miles on the stock tank. You don't want to get a bigger tank, but the 60 miles is unacceptable to you.

You already know what the right thing to do is... but you don't want to do it. :thumbsup:

If you think its a lot to handle a bike with an extra gallon of gas, just wait until you are pushing it.

• jdg211707

Posted August 15, 2009 - 07:54 PM

my longest ride was 66 miles and i still had a 1/4 tank left , never hit reserve. 07wr40 w/ free mods

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • weathergeek

Posted August 16, 2009 - 07:59 AM

Get the bigger tank. I've got a 3.6 on my '07. The extra weight is barely noticeable when riding. When picking it up however....:) :thumbsup: :worthy:

• jmesserer

Posted August 16, 2009 - 12:08 PM

I was just out in CO (stock jetting & stock tank) and I got 87 MPG hauling 2 people on the street ONLY.

Riding the trail with 2 people I averaged about 35 MPG.

• BANSHEE

Posted August 16, 2009 - 10:34 PM

I have an 04 450, and I ride dirt only....it has a 2.4 gallon tank, and the last ride I went on was just about 48 miles to a little town where I topped the bike off at the gas station. to go 48 miles took .8 gallons...that was fairly easy riding. just cruising with a couple of new riders, but I would feel safe to say that mine gets around 40 to 45 mpg. that's at least 100 miles. I think I could probably go around 120 miles on my tank. I can guarantee more than 60 miles...I wouldn't worry about it..the longest ride that I have been on no gas up was 96 miles...never hit reserve and never noticed how much it took to fill up agian....Hope this helps.

• YamaLink

Posted August 17, 2009 - 06:23 AM

The most I ever achieved from a stock tank was 70 miles and that was all flat as a lake fireroad to get to the next overnight pit stop. Totally easy on the throttle and I may have been in a tuck to decrease wind resistance some of the way. I hope to never have a ride like that again! :thumbsup:

• Cooksend

Posted August 18, 2009 - 05:29 AM

I have put about 200 miles on my 2003 and have the free mods done and a JD jet kit. So far with somewhat aggressive riding I am finding about 32mpg. I have yet to really rip on it but fuel mileage sounds pretty light. Time for a bigger tank...

• weathergeek

Posted August 18, 2009 - 09:12 AM

I have put about 200 miles on my 2003 and have the free mods done and a JD jet kit. So far with somewhat aggressive riding I am finding about 32mpg. I have yet to really rip on it but fuel mileage sounds pretty light. Time for a bigger tank...

Check this thread out for tanks:

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=810669

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.