Should I have TSB performed on my WR450??

17 replies to this topic
  • ddialogue

Posted April 01, 2003 - 04:53 AM

500+ miles and no woodruff key issues. At this point, my worries of a failure are almost gone. The TSB from Yamaha states all 2003 WR450 models are affected. If you were in this situation, what would you do? Would you have it serviced or just ride it?

• MxnDoc

Posted April 01, 2003 - 05:22 AM

Dave, I thought the same until 3 miles out and mine broke (was a long push home in 85 degree weather). You never know when these keys will brake! Also the service bulletin makes it clear that there is a machining issue as they ask you to lap the parts extensively. Your choice but I had to re-do mine. Also tried to email you the bulletin but it came back as unsendable? Please PM me again if you still want the Bulletin.
Bob :

• WR450

Posted April 01, 2003 - 05:25 AM

I would like to see the bulletin

• ddialogue

Posted April 01, 2003 - 05:39 AM

How many total miles had you logged before it failed?

Also, I think your email may have bounced due to my email filter. Sorry about that!

Here's the link to the TSB for anyone that would like to see it. Thanks to for posting this.

Woodruff Key TSB

• jwriott

Posted April 01, 2003 - 05:57 AM

It's good to see Yamaha is going to warranty these regardless of whether or not the warranty has expired. :)

• The_Blue_One

Posted April 01, 2003 - 06:55 AM

I would wait unless you have a good dealer.It says to cover whether under warranty or not.So if it does end up shearing bring it in then.just my .o2

• HighPlainsWR

Posted April 01, 2003 - 01:15 PM

Good job ! My WR450 is having it's first service today and I brought the TSB in as well. To date, the dealer has not yet received their "offical" TSB from Yamaha. If Yamaha doesn't pay for it, I will. My rides are too far in the middle of nowhere to be stranded.

• Jim_bo

Posted April 01, 2003 - 01:20 PM

I have the same concerns. I have about 300 miles on my WR450, but I have had no problems so far. My dealer is about 90 miles away. I hate to drag it all the way there, leave it for a few days, then go all the way back to get it if the repair isn't really necessary.

• Jonesy920

Posted April 01, 2003 - 05:28 PM

I'm going to have mine done. I think that once it does cut loose the spinning crank on the flywheel may damage the crank. I think that is why we are seeing some multiple failures. If the taper is off to begin with, just think how much it would be off after 13,000 revolutions with the flywheel stationary.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tootall

Posted April 01, 2003 - 06:12 PM

The complete TSB is posted at if antone wants to pull it up.

• Superbike

Posted April 01, 2003 - 06:45 PM

Can not open it. Is it me? ---Mike

• ddialogue

Posted April 01, 2003 - 06:53 PM

It requires Adobe Acrobat Reader to open it.

• chewie

Posted April 05, 2003 - 06:12 PM

If anybody wants a copy of the most recent tsb I can e-mail it to them :)

• davidmoeller

Posted April 07, 2003 - 03:35 PM

pls e-mail tbs to me :)

Posted April 07, 2003 - 04:10 PM

Please e-mail me with a copy of the TSB. Thank you very much.

• ddialogue

Posted April 07, 2003 - 04:16 PM

Sun rises over the Tetons to the east and sets in the west over the dunes of St. Anthony. You are one lucky guy... :)

• Fast Freddie

Posted April 07, 2003 - 06:16 PM

Please email me the TSB,

Thanks a lot!

• wr250rr

Posted April 08, 2003 - 02:24 PM

I called Yamaha corp today and they said I did not need the fix. :) Can someone send it to me anyway?

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.