Fork Seal Leaking

13 replies to this topic
  • ranger85

Posted August 12, 2009 - 05:36 PM

I was on a long ride yesterday really hammering it on some rough trails and I noticed the forks started sqawking, I didn't really pay any attention to it at the time, but this morning I noticed the right fork was oozing oil out. I know theres lots of post on this, but I have some questions. It looks like if I have to replace the oil seal, I'll have to completely remove the fork/s, per manual. I'm hoping that it was just some dirt caught up in the oil seal not letting it make a good seal so I cleaned it out with a thin buisness card, and we'll see if it keeps leaking.

I'm sure the forks don't have equal amounts of oil after losing some. Can you add fork oil without removing the forks, if so how? Also if the seal is shot and I end up having to replace it, would this be a good time to go ahead and install some gold valves, or would that be a lot of extra work? I just felt if I had to tear everything down to do some seals, might as well throw some good valves in there while I'm at it.

Thanks a lot!

• tribalbc

Posted August 12, 2009 - 05:56 PM

If your bike is an 07 with original fork oil you can use an oil change anyways. Same with seals if original it's time.
Seals are quite easy, just need a seal driver.
Doing gold valves is quite a bit more in depth.
I change my fork oil 3 times a year but have only done one complete teardown/ rebuild.

• ranger85

Posted August 12, 2009 - 06:07 PM

It's an 07' but I bought it brand new in November 2008, so it's not even a year old, I might have 400-500 miles on it. Whats the best way to go about changing the oil on the forks?

• tribalbc

Posted August 12, 2009 - 06:15 PM

Impact gun makes it really easy.

It's all in your manual but basically

Remove forks
Use an impact to remove fork caps.
Use impact and open wrench to remove springs
Drain oil in outer chamber
Remove dust seal and circlip
Hammer slide tubes apart
You can now change seals and bushings if needed
Use the spring for friction inside lower fork tube and an impact gun to remove base valve
Remove inner chamber and drain

Reasemble
Make sure you use a plastic bag over the fork tube when installing new seals

• ranger85

Posted August 12, 2009 - 06:38 PM

Hey thanks for the info. That seems like a lot of stuff to take apart, thats what I wondered if it wouldn't be a good time to throw valves in there too.

Thanks.

• tribalbc

Posted August 12, 2009 - 07:02 PM

If you really think your oil is good you could skip the base valve part. That's really the most painfull part, it can be a pain to get off the first time.
The other steps I mentioned only take minutes. All the time is spent bleeding the forks.
Make sure you measure fork oil level with springs out, fully compressed.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted August 13, 2009 - 02:19 PM

Hey thanks for the info. That seems like a lot of stuff to take apart, thats what I wondered if it wouldn't be a good time to throw valves in there too.

Thanks.

To just to the fork seals is a simple job. You could have been done already.

Look at the RockyMountainATV video on youtube and get to it!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • byggd

Posted August 13, 2009 - 02:28 PM

Try cleaning them with 35mm film. I've stopped several leaks this way.

• idamoh

Posted August 14, 2009 - 06:16 AM

I had the same problem. I did some revalving on my forks and decided not to change the fork seals (stupid me). It's been about 6 months and now it looks like the right fork is leaking a bit. I have an 08 WR and I just thought I'd be OK with the original seals for a bit longer. Guess not.

• mrlopez

Posted August 14, 2009 - 06:54 AM

Speaking of forks and seals, does anybody know the fork oil capacity for a wr400?

• byggd

Posted August 14, 2009 - 01:50 PM

Speaking of forks and seals, does anybody know the fork oil capacity for a wr400?

I'm not sure off hand but you can download the manual for free from.....

http://www.yamahaown...ook.com.au/?r=0

• ww44wrf450f

Posted August 14, 2009 - 02:06 PM

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted August 18, 2009 - 06:43 AM

I cant watch them here at work but if they are the rockymountainatv videos on open bath single chamber forks, then they are perfect :thumbsup:

• Thermos O flask

Posted August 19, 2009 - 05:03 AM

There is no "capacity" .The oil level is set by height,from the top of the fork tube when compressed without the spring.
Approx 130mm,just did mine,Easy,just bleed and re bleed ALL the air out... love that rattle gun!:thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.