What's the story on flywheel weights?

2 replies to this topic
  • TallJohn

Posted March 31, 2003 - 09:46 PM

It's my bad riding, I know, but I have heard a heavier flywheel helps prevent low rev stalls. I trail ride, and haver recently started enduro racing, and find that my lack of skill sometime leaves me stalling over some low speed obstacles. Would a flywheel help, and has anyone had experience of fitting and using one?

Thanks,

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ZEKEDAWG

Posted April 01, 2003 - 05:29 AM

My 99 400 has a 12 oz steahly flywheel weight on it. It was put there by the oridinal owner. I have stalled the bike but that is only when I was going down super steep hills with both brakes locked. I don't know what it would by like without it. I don't think it robs too much power.

BTW, Jim if you read this is that flywheel weight in addition to the stock one or does it replace the stock one.

• Jim_bo

Posted April 01, 2003 - 05:32 AM

I would be scared to put additional weight on the flywheel on my WR450. If it has a problem with sheering woodruff keys, the additional inertia of a flywheel weight could only add to that problem.

Jimbo

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.