03 yz450f big bore/ eline stator ?'s

11 replies to this topic
  • outcast623

Posted August 11, 2009 - 07:32 PM

Hello All,
I have a couple questions that I was looking to you fellow thumpertalkers for some answers!

First I have an 03 yz450f that has around 80-90 hours on it, I was going to replace the piston and rings, but found a killer deal on an Athena big bore kit.. My question is would dropping a bigger piston in with out balancing the rotating assembly give me lots of unwanted engine vibrations? Im trying to now split the cases if possible..

Second, along with doing the piston kit, I'm replacing the valve seals, cam chain, and throwing in some hotcams stage two cams.. now I have an E-line stator setup on my YZ and this eliminates the TDC marking on the cases.. So how are you all setting the crank/piston to TDC. I can only think of three ways to accomplish this: use a screwdriver through the spark plug hole to approximate TDC, use a cam degree wheel and piston stop, put oem case cover/stator on to degree cams then replace e-line stator? any other options??

Thanks for any input!

• DRtrinity

Posted September 09, 2009 - 12:28 PM

Ah,... you answered your own question. I just recently bought a YZF and was checking the valve clearances. The two cam marks did not line up with the head surface perfectly when the flywheel TDC mark was aligned to the stator cover mark.

I wanted to make sure that the flywheel key did not shear so I used a plastic welding rod(soft, not like a screw driver). Without looking at the flywheel mark, I rotated the flywheel back and forth till I got the welding rod to be at the highest point. Then, looking down at the flywheel, stator cover markings, it was spot on. Did this several times just to make sure and it hits the mark each and every time.

Where did you get your Eline stator? Been looking for one. I heard the company is out of business.

• grayracer513

Posted September 09, 2009 - 01:39 PM

With regards to your balance question, the answer is probably yes, it will shake more than normal if you don't re-balance.

• Ga426owner

Posted September 09, 2009 - 03:30 PM

Grey thanks for sending this to me :busted:

Your option of the Athena kit better if you do not plan on re -Balancing. It is already set up for install.

I did not go this route on my big bore - I purchased a new cylinder head and had Eric Gorr bore it out and rebalance as well as adding Crower Cams to the motor - it is a beast. (Athena has good products so either way you will be a smiling fool when you ride it):thumbsup:

either way you are going to get more vibration than stock so do not think it will not be apparent. You won't care though because the bike will just pull and pull. Mine has slightly more vibration, not too bothersome but yes it will vibrate

I highly recommend a flywheel weight to make the bike more tractable - mine is a 5oz GYTR for MX only. For woods riding I recommend more weight. Gearing is also key -

Go ahead and replace the Cam Chain Adjustor as well as the cam chain, cheap insurance

Can't help you with the Eline stator question sorry

keep us posted on which way you go. You wont be sorry, it will remind you of a 500 and anyone behind you will hate you :banana:

• outcast623

Posted September 09, 2009 - 06:53 PM

I am almost ready to get this project underway, Im just trying to source an 02 wr450f transmission to swap into this thing.. its a street yz btw :busted:

about the eline.. it was on the bike when I bought it, so I cant really help with sourcing one..

anyone know where to get a wr trans, or have one they would part with?

Updates include, athena 478cc bb kit, hot cams stage 2 cams, wr450f trans, new main bearings, all new seals throughout, maybe a new waterpump impeller to help with cooling on the street.. cant wait to ride it but im thinking it might be awhile..

• Ga426owner

Posted September 10, 2009 - 05:10 AM

Ah for the street, this changes things...you definitely must consider some rubber mounted triple clamps or something to help with handlebar vibration (ie...Flex bar or ???)
Try it w/o first to see if you can tolerate the vibration.....:busted:

keep us posted

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • proz07

Posted September 10, 2009 - 06:30 PM

I am almost ready to get this project underway, Im just trying to source an 02 wr450f transmission to swap into this thing.. its a street yz btw :busted:

about the eline.. it was on the bike when I bought it, so I cant really help with sourcing one..

anyone know where to get a wr trans, or have one they would part with?

Updates include, athena 478cc bb kit, hot cams stage 2 cams, wr450f trans, new main bearings, all new seals throughout, maybe a new waterpump impeller to help with cooling on the street.. cant wait to ride it but im thinking it might be awhile..

yu might want to bump your years for the yz to wr trans swap i believe your looking or the 03-06wr gear set which fts in the 03-05yz case adding the overdrive 5th as well as giving you a usable 1st with your taller street gearing.

as far as cooling i wouldnt bother with a better water pump or anything to "help" your cooling system for the street except maybe a fan run off a temp switch for long waits in traffic heat soak. reason being i have a vapor on mine with the temop sensor on the rad line coming out of the engine 'hottest' and actually driving at all i rairly get over 150ish it makes me paranoid as thats whats coming out way to cool for operating temps in my opinion. but a fan for waiting in traffic may be good cause a heat soaked engine stalls easier and kick starting the hot beast at a light sucks believe me i know. and even then itll take a good 2min to start getting to the hotter temps there is just too mch dariator on these bikes for the street there is too much airflow making the cooling system too efficient. take a look at the street wr250x's they only have one radiator for this very reason i believe.

reason i say is i hve a 05 450 running the e-line as well for lighting. the 4 speed does suck street wise i have the 05wr gearset and shifter set just havent put it in yet. have fun

z

• grayracer513

Posted September 10, 2009 - 08:51 PM

yu might want to bump your years for the yz to wr trans swap i believe your looking or the 03-06wr gear set which fts in the 03-05yz case adding the overdrive 5th as well as giving you a usable 1st with your taller street gearing.

You are correct.

• outcast623

Posted September 10, 2009 - 08:51 PM

yea I meant 03... oops, anyone know where I could source one of these?

• proz07

Posted September 10, 2009 - 11:51 PM

yea I meant 03... oops, anyone know where I could source one of these?

pmed ya back but in short im keeping mine find your own lol j/k

goodluck

z

• outcast623

Posted September 20, 2009 - 08:43 PM

LOL oh well worth a shot.. Where are you guys finding these used wr450f transmissions? Ive been browsing ebay meticulously for weeks and have yet to come up with anything...

Anyone know of any good part out businesses / motorcycle recycling business's?

• proz07

Posted September 21, 2009 - 12:56 AM

try emailing these guys

http://stores.shop.e...S__W0QQ_armrsZ1

z

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.