Clarification on a couple of things on an '09

3 replies to this topic
  • e30M3

Posted August 11, 2009 - 07:15 PM

First, I assume the '09 comes with the new steering head bearing, I have read that the "new" ones have some type of seal. Is my assumption right or should I be looking for a new bearing?

I have also read that the GYTR offroad flywheel is a must for offroad. Is it also a worthwhile upgrade if I only ride MX?

Also, it seems the exhaust cam from an '06 would wake up the bottom. Wondering what the consesus is, is the cam "needed" if you put on a good exaust? If someone was going to only do one (the cam or exhaust) which would be the best bang for your buck (assuming a Dr. D system was the choice for exaust).

• grayracer513

Posted August 11, 2009 - 10:29 PM

You're going to need to look and see which bearing was installed on your '09. It should be the new type, but there's only one way to know.

The heavier flywheel is an improvement, IMO, regardless of how the bike is used, and takes nothing away from the engine in terms of power.

The DRD stainless is a great value in an exhaust system, and if you spend a few dollars more to get it with the spark arrestor, it's even more versatile. A good exhaust will add more mid range than the cam will in the case of the '08-9 by a considerable amount, but if it doesn't do enough, you can add the cam later.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • e30M3

Posted August 12, 2009 - 05:51 AM

[quote name='grayracer513']You're going to need to look and see which bearing was installed on your '09. It should be the new type, but there's only one way to know. QUOTE]

Is there a simple way to tell. When I had the bike apart there was a rubber type seal that went over the bearing. This "seal" had a metal disk (for a lack of a better description) in the middle of the rubber portion. With that said it doesn't look all that different than what is on my '02 426?

• grayracer513

Posted August 12, 2009 - 08:17 AM

The part that was changed is the bearing "cone" assembly itself (inner race, cage, and rollers). The seal is built into that, and seals directly to the outer race. You can't see it without disassembling the upper bearing.

It is completely unclear as to when the new 78 bearing went into, or will go into the line assemblies. No one has said definitively. You cannot now order the old 68 bearing, as it comes up as being superseded by the 78.

Related Content

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.