Submerging Bike in River

6 replies to this topic
  • Fozzo717

Posted August 10, 2009 - 07:17 AM

Over the weekend I was riding (02 yz426) in the mountains when I came to what I thought was a shallow creek. I punched it through in 1st only to get to about the middle and be completely submerged up to my neck. I excelerated all the way through and the bike never stalled. I was at least 10 miles out so no matter what I wasn't going to stop and check it out. When I got back I checked the oil and it looked fine and the air filter looked and felt fine. The next day the bike ran fine? Can these bikes take that kind of thing? I thought for sure that I had done major damage?

• Tcfairlane

Posted August 10, 2009 - 07:22 AM

I droped my in a flooded creek and it got water everywhere... Tank, carb everything never tried to start it just pulled it back to my truck went home and got to work after about 3 days i got all the water out took about 4 oil changes and some carb work ect but got it done and the bike ran great... If the bike never stoped running the only problem you might have is with the air box guess you got lucky

• BLUEDUDE

Posted August 10, 2009 - 08:29 AM

When I First got my 426, I accidentally flew in to a pond and summered the whole bike. It was running when it summered and I assumed it hydro locked. the next day I drained all of gas out of the tank and carb, replaced the air filter, and changed the oil. ran it for about 2 minutes, changed the oil and the filter. I did that 2 more times. That whole fiasco happened 4 years ago when the bike only had 10 hours on it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted August 10, 2009 - 08:50 AM

If you rode it all the way through, you essentially punched a hole in the water and got away with it that way. If the oil had taken on a significant amount of water, you'd see it as having turned milky.

Might be wise to check the bottom of the carb.

• cowboyona426

Posted August 10, 2009 - 09:11 AM

Yep you got lucky for sure! :thumbsup:

• Tcfairlane

Posted August 10, 2009 - 09:26 AM

And if you really are worried about it clean your filter drain your gas and do an oil change... Would not hurt anyways and would be on the safe side... But like gray said... If you made it and it did not die you should be good... But still nothing wrong with being safe

• Ga426owner

Posted August 10, 2009 - 11:32 AM

Over the weekend I was riding (02 yz426) in the mountains when I came to what I thought was a shallow creek. I punched it through in 1st only to get to about the middle and be completely submerged up to my neck. I excelerated all the way through and the bike never stalled. I was at least 10 miles out so no matter what I wasn't going to stop and check it out. When I got back I checked the oil and it looked fine and the air filter looked and felt fine. The next day the bike ran fine? Can these bikes take that kind of thing? I thought for sure that I had done major damage?

be glad you punched it, you are one lucky soul.....keep an eye on the color of the oil and drain the carb, you should be fine:thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.