Electric start help

6 replies to this topic
  • pobenda

Posted August 09, 2009 - 09:23 PM

I have a wr450 2006 and my electric start sounds weak. I thought it was the battery so I bought a new battery and it still sounds weak. When i press the button it sounds like the battery is weak but it still starts the engine. I can do this all day and it won't drain the battery but just sounds weak. Is this a sign of the starter going bad?

• Butta

Posted August 10, 2009 - 07:15 PM

I have a wr450 2006 and my electric start sounds weak. I thought it was the battery so I bought a new battery and it still sounds weak. When i press the button it sounds like the battery is weak but it still starts the engine. I can do this all day and it won't drain the battery but just sounds weak. Is this a sign of the starter going bad?

Try cleaning the connections at the battery and the starter.....maybe there's some corrosion. Otherwise, check the operation of the decomp system, maybe it's a little higher compression during start?

• pobenda

Posted August 10, 2009 - 07:36 PM

Try cleaning the connections at the battery and the starter.....maybe there's some corrosion. Otherwise, check the operation of the decomp system, maybe it's a little higher compression during start?

How do you check that? I'm not familiar with it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ww44wrf450f

Posted August 11, 2009 - 09:48 AM

It might be time to also check your valves.

• CanadianWR450

Posted August 12, 2009 - 04:44 PM

mine did the exact same thing, until it finally died...acted just like a dead battery, but it was the starter itself...it needed a rebuild badly...took it apart and the brushes etc were toast...I bought a new one instead of rebuilding it

• pobenda

Posted August 12, 2009 - 05:56 PM

Is it easy to rebuild?

• CanadianWR450

Posted August 13, 2009 - 02:00 AM

I don't think it would be too bad. I have a funny feeling though once you price out the parts, you may not be saving a lot....

check your manual, and compare rebuild part prices to buying the full starter.

I'm going to keep my old one as a spare. If the new one ever dies, I can rebuild the old one, and still be able to ride while I do it. You can't ride the bike with the starter out of it

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.