how too check for a bent crank rod yz426f

61 replies to this topic
  • ww44wrf450f

Posted August 11, 2009 - 02:37 PM

Why would you recommend replacing the water pump? Just curious?

He will need to split the case, while doing so IMO I would change the water pump well it was apart!!

• grayracer513

Posted August 11, 2009 - 02:48 PM

He will need to split the case, while doing so IMO I would change the water pump well it was apart!!

The seals, yes, the bearing maybe, the shaft, if it's worn, the impeller, not unless damaged.

• bakeyz426f

Posted August 11, 2009 - 04:51 PM

do i need to replace the seals. do they usally go bad by now.

• ww44wrf450f

Posted August 12, 2009 - 05:20 AM

Listen, the motor is going to be practically all apart to put the crank in, It's a good time to check everything inside so you can have years of enjoyment, I think you are over your head on this, don't get me wrong, but I think you would be better off to ship the motor to a re builder and let them do the work.
You are going to spend 1.5g or more on parts etc. it would suck if it blew up again, Right? -- At the point you have the motor now, you could send it just like it is for the crank and let them check the rest of it out(gears,gear fork,wpump,etc.) and you can finish the top end yourself or let them do it all, and be done with it? The bike is older and things will be or getting to be worn out!! and that's everything on the bike not just the motor!! Look at it this way, you are only going to get your money back in riding time after all the money and time you are going to spend on the whole bike. You could easily with some time part the bike out and get well over a g-note in parts on e-bay etc. A new 450 07-08 is like $5000 right now?? So if you decide to fix it, fix it right, and enjoy it for years!! or recoup some cost and go new.

• matt4x4

Posted August 12, 2009 - 05:40 AM

Ok - obviously - you have not seen the overall shape of this bike....if it was ridden hard and ridden lots, then my 2000 WR was ridden 1000 times harder and 10,000 times more...and it still runs perfect.....this thing barely has frame paint wear - I think the overall shape of his bike is really good and it looks to be a really low hour machine, and he will be able to do this repair himself - everyone who wants to do this themselves has to learn at some point, as long as he reads up on the posts already here and does not rely on being spoonfed - there's no reason he couldn't take on this project - it's not rocket science.

• bakeyz426f

Posted August 12, 2009 - 04:57 PM

how much is the yz450f cam that gets rid of auto decompression? the bike didnt look like it had been rode much when i bought it so i was surprised when it blew up plus it was bught new in 2005 so its only had four years on it. how often do you need to replace the cam chain i dont want it to skip and break a valve again?

• matt4x4

Posted August 13, 2009 - 03:51 AM

Cam chain replacement is recommended every 40 hours or so although I can pretty much guarantee they last well over twice that - it's just cheap insurance. Since it's apart - replace it - also check your tensioner - it may well be a part of the reason your bike blew and for the 50 it costs to replace, it's also pretty cheap insurance.
To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of auto decompression, just never felt the need for it since I can start my bike on the first kick every time - it just has to be tuned right and you have to know the procedures - it was money I felt better to be spent elsewhere, but to each his own.

• mxmaddman

Posted August 13, 2009 - 05:44 AM

how much is the yz450f cam that gets rid of auto decompression? the bike didnt look like it had been rode much when i bought it so i was surprised when it blew up plus it was bught new in 2005 so its only had four years on it. how often do you need to replace the cam chain i dont want it to skip and break a valve again?

Look for the 450 exhaust cam on eBay. The crank jug and head could bolt on as well to make it a 450 just to give you something to think about.

You seem more like a back yard type rider, correct? If you maintain the bike you should be safe once a year if your riding weekends. The best thing to do all said and done is just get a hour meter and change it at 40. 40 hours of running is actually allot of time. Its sad that a 30$ part could ruin your bike if not replaced.. isn't it? I warned my brother several times to replace his 03 250f chain and he kept putting it off saying it was running great.....you can guess the rest of what happened. The sad part is then he bought a Honda and a month later the honda blew too. Talk about shitty luck. He lives 1500 miles from me so he has to pay to have someone repair them both now.:thumbsup:

• bakeyz426f

Posted August 13, 2009 - 07:29 AM

i take the bike out on the weekends and ride a small mx track and trails.

• bakeyz426f

Posted August 13, 2009 - 09:35 AM

i hear bad things about hot rod cranks plus i couldnt find one so i think ill go oem

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • matt4x4

Posted August 13, 2009 - 10:55 AM

never had a problem with a hotrods crank - but you'll hear bad things about almost anything, because many who have no clue will buy this stuff, put it in wrong - say using a BFH instead of a crank puller or heat, the engine fails a week later and it's all hotrod's fault....

• grayracer513

Posted August 13, 2009 - 11:01 AM

Wiseco was the crank that was recalled. Hot Rods cranks are a knock-off replacement crank made in Taiwan. I'm always suspicious when someone sells dollars for 50 cents, but the quality is pretty good from what I've seen as feedback. The only negative I can really remember is balancing issues.

• mxmaddman

Posted August 13, 2009 - 01:33 PM

i hear bad things about hot rod cranks plus i couldnt find one so i think ill go oem

I have used a ton of hot rods stuff no probs.
Just recently I rebuilt these trusting them wth hot rods.

yz290f
yz250f x2
yz450f
lt250r
lt500r (75hp)
never had a problem with them in all the years i have used them. I have heard some stories from others, but mostly on 2 strokes. like matt said probably install issues on the ones you do here about. nobody likes to blame themselfs for bad mechanical skills, They always blame the people who make the parts they used.:thumbsup:

• bakeyz426f

Posted August 13, 2009 - 01:58 PM

does hot rod still make a yz426f crank and if so should i try it or do you think im taking a big risk. do they last as long as oem cranks? i went to hot rods site but could only find cranks for 450f

• bakeyz426f

Posted August 15, 2009 - 04:48 AM

if i get a lukes racing big bore kit wiil it fit the my stock head im going to have rebuilt and have valves put in?

• mxmaddman

Posted August 15, 2009 - 08:00 AM

if i get a lukes racing big bore kit wiil it fit the my stock head im going to have rebuilt and have valves put in?

yea, but do you need a big bore? If your cylinders OK why go bigger? The slowest part of these bikes is the riders :thumbsup:

• bakeyz426f

Posted August 15, 2009 - 08:09 AM

just thought it could be cheaper. it cost 450 but they said they give you 300 back if you give them your cyilinder. so 150 bucks for new cyilinder piston rings and new cyilinder. your write on the bike not needing more power. how does the 426f compare to the 450f? are they close in speed and power?

• mxmaddman

Posted August 15, 2009 - 10:06 AM

just thought it could be cheaper. it cost 450 but they said they give you 300 back if you give them your cyilinder. so 150 bucks for new cyilinder piston rings and new cyilinder. your write on the bike not needing more power. how does the 426f compare to the 450f? are they close in speed and power?

yea, thats not a bad deal, whos doing that deal?

The 450s are animals. The 426 speed wise is close, but the 450 has more power everywhere becuase of the displacment differences. However the 426 has plenty enough power to do anything you need it to..... IE get you over any jump or hill the 450 would.

• bakeyz426f

Posted August 15, 2009 - 10:19 AM

lukes racing

• bakeyz426f

Posted August 15, 2009 - 10:26 AM

i think i found the guy that sold me my bike on here.he said he just sold his 02 yz426f for 2100 and he lives in ohio. i cheaked out some of his threads and he bought it new in o5 so i pretty sure its him. also his post said the bike had 130hrs on it or something close to that. is that to many hours on a stock cam chain? thinking thats proboly why mine blew.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.