how too check for a bent crank rod yz426f

61 replies to this topic
  • moto2000

Posted August 10, 2009 - 06:22 PM

Unless you're hellbent on rebuilding it yourself, it might be a good idea to get ahold of Eric at Forward Motion and see what he can do for you....it might be money well spent.

Email: ericgorr@hotmail.com
Telephone: 1-630-825-5645

• bakeyz426f

Posted August 10, 2009 - 06:31 PM

i think i want to give it a shot ive already got the tools i need and i want to go to school to be come a motorcycle mechanic so got to start learning some where. i aslo have a mechanic and i few motor heads i could ask for help if i get into trouble.

• bakeyz426f

Posted August 10, 2009 - 06:36 PM

you think i should get wr stator while im at it to power lights. i already have a street title for my 426.

• moto2000

Posted August 10, 2009 - 06:38 PM

That's cool...gotta start somewhere :thumbsup:

I think that whoever can repair your cyl. head can also replace the valves and shim it for you....check with them.

• moto2000

Posted August 10, 2009 - 06:40 PM

you think i should get wr stator while im at it to power lights. i already have a street title for my 426.

Flywheel, stator, and cdi.....maybe get it running first tho...:thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted August 10, 2009 - 06:41 PM

have you done it before.

More times than I can count.

In the first place, you're confusing rebuilding the crank with replacing it. The tools you bought are a crankCASE splitter, and a crank installer, which are nice to have, but not absolutely necessary.

To rebuild the crank, you need to press the crankshaft assembly apart into its individual parts, press it back together and align it. By the time you pay for the equipment to do that, you could have paid a professional to do 7 of them. Just buy a new crank if yours warrants replacement, and be done with it.

• bakeyz426f

Posted August 10, 2009 - 06:48 PM

i dont have to align the new crank though right

• grayracer513

Posted August 10, 2009 - 06:57 PM

Correct.

• bakeyz426f

Posted August 10, 2009 - 06:59 PM

if i send the head to that place you said will my cyilinder have to be bored out some as well and will i need bigger piston

• grayracer513

Posted August 10, 2009 - 07:13 PM

If your cylinder is damaged, replace it, or have it repaired and replated. It's an aluminum bore with nikasil plating. Boring oversize for wear is not an option.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bakeyz426f

Posted August 10, 2009 - 07:18 PM

my cyilinder looks unharmed would you recommend i send my head to them or buy a new cyilinder? and will they put valves in for me?

• bakeyz426f

Posted August 10, 2009 - 08:18 PM

which way would you go?

• grayracer513

Posted August 10, 2009 - 08:53 PM

my cyilinder looks unharmed would you recommend i send my head to them or buy a new cyilinder? and will they put valves in for me?

The question you asked is whether you should repair the head or buy a new cylinder? I apologize, but the two aren't related. They each have to be repaired or replaced on their own merits.

EDCo will install the valves, yes.

• bakeyz426f

Posted August 11, 2009 - 03:00 AM

my bad i meant buy a new head cyilinder assembly or have it sent to EDCo? are valves hard to install? my cyilinder looks smooth so i think it will still work with repaired head right?

• KJ790

Posted August 11, 2009 - 03:40 AM

I would suggest either finding a complete used head on Ebay (which can be risky) or sending your damaged one to Engine Dynamics to repair it. If you send it to Engine Dynamics then I would send the new valves and cams with it for them to install and shim them properly, and you can send your cylinder for them to inspect. This way when they send it back, all you have to do is bolt everything together.

• bakeyz426f

Posted August 11, 2009 - 04:24 AM

do i have to send the whole motor or just the head and cyilinder

• stevenacarter77

Posted August 11, 2009 - 05:00 AM

just the head and cyilinder, and i agree

• ww44wrf450f

Posted August 11, 2009 - 07:18 AM

Send them the head for a complete rebuild, along with the cyclinder to be replated, and get a new crank( or get your's checked ), piston, rings, gaskets, spark plug, coolant and I would also consider replacing the water pump!! as far as some lights for your 426, I would use a rechargeable battery system and wire it to a battery tender?
depending on how much night driving you are going to do?

Remember everthing in that motor came to a grinding hault and how bad?

Ever think about parting it out, it might be your best bet? Plateable frame would be worth some bucks in California? Who want's to start the bidding?

• Lumberjack

Posted August 11, 2009 - 09:42 AM

Why would you recommend replacing the water pump? Just curious?

• bakeyz426f

Posted August 11, 2009 - 01:00 PM

i love this bike and the way it rides plus dont think its worth selling then ill have to replace it with another used one and that thing could be ready to blow as well.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.