OT - Power chip in your truck?

8 replies to this topic
  • feetup&sliding

Posted March 31, 2003 - 09:41 AM

Anyone here use one of those "power chips" in their truck? Do they work or are they a waste of $$? Im finding out that my 4.6L F150 has its hands full pulling my new travel trailer and could definately use a few more ponies. Im considering adding a power chip and one fo the aftermarket K&N style "air raid" intake systems. The chip makers are showing dyno run sheets showing 18HP gains on the 4.6L and K&N claims their air raid is good for 10-15. So do you guys think between the two I could really gain 25-30HP with these two mods? I think 25-30 would definately help the pulling sutuation!

• billoyd

Posted March 31, 2003 - 11:03 AM

This is the best system on the market!!!

http://volantperformance.com/

• smashinz2002

Posted March 31, 2003 - 07:22 PM

Keep in mind the "power chips" really don't do that much unless you also modify the exhaust system and intake system as well. However, the base power module for a Ford truck will let the gears run out to higher rpm before shifting. Also it by-passes the speed governor. Overall, there's not much difference that you will notice with the street legal chip installed, especially if you don't install a better exhaust system and a more freely flowing air cleaner. Either way, the V-6 will never produce enough torque for pulling heavy loads, it's just not designed for that. It's a great engine for city driving unloaded, and produces decent HP in the upper rpm range, but not much else.

• CoreyClough

Posted March 31, 2003 - 10:30 PM

Most "chips" actually only delay lock-up of the torque converter, allowing a later shift as mentioned. A V-6 in a truck? Remember, it is the same chassis as a V-8. Anymore than 2 bikes, and it's overworked. Better gas mileage? Sure, but all that depends on how much you put your foot into it. Get a V-8, and make it the biggest they have, if you are going to tow/haul more than 2 bikes... get serious. You will never win this one!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Keo

Posted April 01, 2003 - 04:00 AM

Uh, guys? The 4.6L is a V-8, albeit a small one.

• Terrain Rider 4z

Posted April 01, 2003 - 04:06 AM

You just beat me to it! I wanted to call Corey a funny name, but I think everyone gets the picture :) The 4.6 is a 231 HP V8 and should be able to pull a small travel trailer just fine. The chip should boost HP and torque, but it depends on the chip you go with.

Ryan

• CoreyClough

Posted April 01, 2003 - 05:56 AM

Sorry guys, I was replying to the wrong post after a long day. Should have looked first, and I would have known that the 4.6 is the 302cid V-8. A simple mistake! It won't happen again...today! :)

• Keo

Posted April 01, 2003 - 06:31 AM

Heh. You guys are getting closer :). The 4.6 is a 231 cid 225HP (260 or so in the newer Mustang) V8. Personally, I think it is a little too small for a truck towing even a small trailer. I have driven an F-150 with the 4.6 and it won't get out of it's own way. Add the trailer and auto trans and AC and you are probably working pretty hard on the hills. I would go for any power adders I could find, assuming a trade in isn't an option. If money isn't a big issue, screw type superchargers are perfect for this kind of application. I would be willing to bet that the intake and chip HP gains will not be totally cumulative and that you will end up with about a 20HP gain max. Every little bit does help though, so you might want to consider underdrive pulleys, too. JMHO.

• Terrain Rider 4z

Posted April 01, 2003 - 11:35 AM

The 302 WAS a 5.0 liter, though it is non existant now in the Ford lineup. The 4.6 went on to replace the 5.0 in Mustangs and pickups. This motor can also be found in some of the larger Mercurys, Fords, and Lincolns.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.