Broke my kickstart lever today

11 replies to this topic
  • Beaz

Posted August 09, 2009 - 12:06 PM

I looked at ronayers they say 100
I have he broken chunk i think it can be welded

• yz450fcranker

Posted August 09, 2009 - 01:33 PM

i broke mine on my first ride i broke the bottom part and now twists 180 degerees i tried welding but didnt work i had to drill and put in 2 bolts from the bottoim on the stopper

• nickeenoo

Posted August 09, 2009 - 01:42 PM

I looked at ronayers they say 100
I have he broken chunk i think it can be welded

I took mine to two different professional welders and neither could figure out the alloy/temper (not sure what it's called). The welding process actually made the metal softer than when it started. At the end of the day I bought one off ebay for $60. I should have done that in the first place and saved myself a lot of time and money.

• ReedRulz

Posted August 09, 2009 - 02:51 PM

I took mine to two different professional welders and neither could figure out the alloy/temper (not sure what it's called). The welding process actually made the metal softer than when it started. At the end of the day I bought one off ebay for $60. I should have done that in the first place and saved myself a lot of time and money.

I work in a pipe fab shop and I took mine to work and my welder welded it up with aluminum. He didnt weld the piece on that broke off he kept welding it tell it was built up high enough then I filed to shape works great. Im not sure what number the welding rod was but it was aero space grade welding rod.

• Beaz

Posted August 09, 2009 - 05:15 PM

Thanks guys

• rexbond007

Posted August 09, 2009 - 07:36 PM

i have welded mine in the past on my 01 wr 250, just to build up wear on the kick starter that connects to the foot pedal on a kick, and yes, by heating it up it makes the kick starter softer, it's a type cast aluminum.

the welder would may have of use a 5356 alum alloy to build up you kick starter,as for a space alloy ???

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ReedRulz

Posted August 10, 2009 - 02:13 AM

www.southcoastindustrialmetals.com/aerospace_grade_aluminum.html You shouldnt question things you know nothing about.

• grayracer513

Posted August 10, 2009 - 08:28 AM

You shouldnt question things you know nothing about.

Good advice.

5356: Silicon 0.25, Iron 0.40, Copper 0.10, Manganese 0.10, Magnesium 4.50-5.50, Chromium 0.05-0.20, Zinc 0.10, Titanium 0.06-0.20, with the remainder being Aluminum.

It is very similar to 5052, 5154, 5454, and 5456.

The fact that South Coast doesn't have it means nothing.

http://en.wikipedia....#Wrought_alloys

• ReedRulz

Posted August 10, 2009 - 02:11 PM

i have welded mine in the past on my 01 wr 250, just to build up wear on the kick starter that connects to the foot pedal on a kick, and yes, by heating it up it makes the kick starter softer, it's a type cast aluminum.

the welder would may have of use a 5356 alum alloy to build up you kick starter,as for a space alloy ???

Good advice.

5356: Silicon 0.25, Iron 0.40, Copper 0.10, Manganese 0.10, Magnesium 4.50-5.50, Chromium 0.05-0.20, Zinc 0.10, Titanium 0.06-0.20, with the remainder being Aluminum.

It is very similar to 5052, 5154, 5454, and 5456.

The fact that South Coast doesn't have it means nothing.

http://en.wikipedia....#Wrought_alloys

My point wasnt that they didnt have it the point was that some of these alloys are called aero space grade aluminum alloys. He seemed to be questioning that from his post. I was not questioning wether there is such a rod.

• rexbond007

Posted August 10, 2009 - 02:44 PM

Most welding shops use 5356, I learn't the hard way and soffend up my kick starter. i was just asking "Space alloy?" i did not know what you meant by that
for space alloy, i was not trying to get under any one's skin here. just sharing my experiance with welding a kick starter.

• Beaz

Posted August 10, 2009 - 04:03 PM

i broke mine on my first ride i broke the bottom part and now twists 180 degerees i tried welding but didnt work i had to drill and put in 2 bolts from the bottoim on the stopper

So you used two screws
and put the old peice on?

• ReedRulz

Posted August 10, 2009 - 04:15 PM

Most welding shops use 5356, I learn't the hard way and soffend up my kick starter. i was just asking "Space alloy?" i did not know what you meant by that
for space alloy, i was not trying to get under any one's skin here. just sharing my experiance with welding a kick starter.

Sorry I took you the wrong way, aero space grade aluminums are harder and stronger than a standard aluminum welding rod. Im not sure the rod my welder used but it is as hard and stronger than the kick starter itself.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  91 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.