purchase a 03 YZF450?

9 replies to this topic
  • tackman

Posted August 08, 2009 - 06:16 PM

I am a 250 2-stroke owner and have a chance to buy a 2003 YZF450. I am interested but also completely clueless when it comes to 4 strokes.

What's the general opinion of that year bike? And if you were going to look at a 03, what would be indications of problems. They claim it has sat a bunch and was never raced...probably every body says that.

Also, what is a good price for that bike?

I know I'm new to this forum but I've been a round a little on the 2 stroke forums, thanks for any advice...I really appreciate the knowledge here.

• cbrewer450

Posted August 08, 2009 - 09:21 PM

I love my 03 YZ450F.. I picked mine up for $2500 just over a year ago. I have nothing to compare it to as I came from sport bikes. It's plenty for me. So far, the motor has been bullet proof. Starts with one or two kicks every time.

• 2strk

Posted August 08, 2009 - 09:24 PM

iu have a 04 and mines is blown up in the shop right now but when it runs it cant be beat and aroun 1500-2500 is a good price

• finthat

Posted August 09, 2009 - 12:07 PM

I love my 03 450 after coming off of a cr500 this bike is great. It has alot of and very nice smooth "usable" power, not big hit and its easy to start. You'll find it will have a heavier feel than your 250 TS but you'll get used to it. If you pay over the 2500 - 2600 range it better be in show room condition with the factory tires still on it.

• oasis

Posted August 09, 2009 - 04:38 PM

If $2500+ is reasonable for a near showroom quality '03 YZ450F, then what should the average one go for? $1800-2000?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • nephic

Posted August 10, 2009 - 06:39 AM

I have had my 2003 yz450f for three years. It is solid. I agree that you shouldn't pay over $2,500, because I'm picking up a 2009 or 2010 and you can have mine for $2,000 easy. Having said that, I love it and may end up keeping it around for a backup bike.

The bike is good, but anyone telling you it is smooth isn't telling you how they got to smooth. The power on the 2003 comes on hard for a 450 and the bike really feels strong, lots of hit. Add a flywheel weight and it's a sweet ride.:ride:

What else to look at? Suspension, Suspension, Suspension. I had mine done at Factory Connection and it changed the bike completely in a good way. I added the Scotts stabilizer also.:worthy: Sweet.

Raced it two weeks ago in the quasi-old and slow class, 2-1 motos. The bike is good enough to podium every weekend if I can keep my but on it. I don't ever feel like someone on the line has a major motor advantage on me.:thumbsup:

I'd like it to turn a little better, but I think that rider error is more limiting than the bike.

I have the standard carb mods on mine, White Bros pipe, pro-tapers, the under the bar scotts dampner with their triple clamps, aluminum throttle, ASV levers, black wheels (cuz I'm a poser:moon: ) radiator guards, FC suspension and shock bearing, Dr. d flywheel weight, jetting, and lots of crap I don't remmember. You can really do alot to the bike, and honestly, I've passed plenty of guys on KX500s, cuz this is Wyoming, and there are plenty rolling around the right race.

I think that if you get a good deal on that bike, you'll be very happy coming of a two stoke, and onto it. Start it up and give it a twist, see if you like it. Pay less than two so you have money for suspension and a flywheel weight. And don't let your buddies burrow it.

Good luck,

• Tcfairlane

Posted August 10, 2009 - 06:50 AM

I got a 05 for $2000 last friday.. Took it out for a ride this weekend did some jumps and hit the trails a little and i LOVE IT.. Only problem i was having was turning and i think its just cause i came from a smaller bike and im sure i will get used to it because just in 3-4 hours of riding it really got to where i was not noticing it at all...

• guitarnut57

Posted August 10, 2009 - 07:09 AM

I made the jump from a YZ 250 to an '04 YZ 450 last year, and I am glad I did. It will be a strange transition at first, but you will love it after you get used to it. With a good suspension setup, the bike will run fairly close to the newer 450s. I don't find myself at a disadvantage at all.

.....Only problem i was having was turning and i think its just cause i came from a smaller bike and im sure i will get used to it because just in 3-4 hours of riding it really got to where i was not noticing it at all...

Same here. It takes a little getting used to.

PS I would offer about $2,000-2,200 for it :thumbsup:

• Tcfairlane

Posted August 10, 2009 - 07:44 AM

I made the jump from a YZ 250 to an '04 YZ 450 last year, and I am glad I did. It will be a strange transition at first, but you will love it after you get used to it. With a good suspension setup, the bike will run fairly close to the newer 450s. I don't find myself at a disadvantage at all.

Same here. It takes a little getting used to.

PS I would offer about $2,000-2,200 for it :thumbsup:

a little geting used to and its well worth the trouble... Lol I came from a Rm125 with 144 bore on it and i am loving the extra power out of the turns and at low end... I used to say i never wanted a 4 stroke but i never want to set foot on a 2 stroke again now...

• finthat

Posted August 10, 2009 - 06:38 PM

Sorry guys my prices may be a little scewed I live in Canada and all the fun stuff cost a little more up here. My 450 came from Minneapolis ...drove for 6.5 hours and saved atleast 1500 on it compared to one from up here.
Like I said compared to a big 2 stroke 500 the '03 450's power hit is very managable, haven't had the chance to try a newer one out yet with the smoother power curve.

I also rebuilt my whole engine and found it to be not as hard as I expected if you read and follow the manual (which is a must have).

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.