Tail light not a brake light?

13 replies to this topic
  • Yamaha_James

Posted August 08, 2009 - 03:53 PM

Alright so I made a two hour trip to my Yamaha deal today(pretty big deal for me since I need my parents to drive me there:thumbsdn: ) to look at a WR450F and get information on it(financing wise) and to get a good look at one/sit on one. Upon inspecting the bike, I noticed the the tail light is always on, as soon as you hit the ignition button. The light doesn't seem to get brighter, is the tail light not a brake light?

• tribalbc

Posted August 08, 2009 - 04:18 PM

The dual filament bulb and wiring is there. You just need a pressure switch.

• Yamaha_James

Posted August 09, 2009 - 01:39 AM

The dual filament bulb and wiring is there. You just need a pressure switch.

So it is already wired up, I just need a pressure switch? What switch would I need?

• tp3dxf

Posted August 09, 2009 - 09:32 AM

You will need one of these. Not sure why you want one unless your going to put a plate on the bike. But their cheap and easy to install.

https://www.bajadesi...SWITCH/SWITCHES

• Yamaha_James

Posted August 09, 2009 - 11:49 AM

Not sure why you want one unless your going to put a plate on the bike. But their cheap and easy to install.

Well I might be making the bike street legal some day but when I go riding at night with my buddy(on an atv) it would be nice if he could see me using the brake(as I can with him)

• Yamaha_James

Posted August 09, 2009 - 11:50 AM

You will need one of these.

The brembo, nissin, or mechanical?

• Yamaha_James

Posted August 10, 2009 - 03:24 PM

Do I need to get a new brake lever for this to work?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • The-Extractor

Posted August 10, 2009 - 06:15 PM

No, I just put one of these on my 03 wr 450. Be careful how you route the wires, keep them away from the pipe. All I did was stick a wire from the fuse box to the stock wire harness then made my own connector pin and siliconed it into the stock plug. Done. It works fine. Call/email BD and ask them which one you need for your bike.

• tp3dxf

Posted August 12, 2009 - 12:22 AM

Do I need to get a new brake lever for this to work?

Usually dual sport conversions only use the rear brake to trigger the rear brake light. The front brake lever is almost never used to trigger the rear break light with conversion kits. That is just how it is. Unless the bike is street legal stock.

If your looking to dual sport your bike check out Trick Dual Sport. Again the front lever is usually not used on a dual sport conversion to trigger the rear brake light. And no you don't need a different lever. Even if you decide to run a actuator on it to light up the rear light.

• tp3dxf

Posted August 12, 2009 - 12:55 AM

The brembo, nissin, or mechanical?

James,

Do you have any Idea what type of brakes are on a Yamaha or a KTM or a Honda or a Husky? Do you know what a Husky is?

Most Euro bikes use Brembo brakes think KTM or Husqvarna. Good stuff. All the Jap bikes use Nissin stuff. Excellent as well.

Mechanical is long gone think drum brakes. Look them up on Wikipedia some day.

Brembo = KTM or Euro bikes. Yes the Euros make excellent bikes. On par with japan. Even better some say.

Nissan = Japanese brakes. Excellent as well.

Mechanical = everyone at one point Honda, Yamaha, KTM, Husky ETC. used them till disks were the norm.

Just a quick history lesson. Good luck with your ride.

• tp3dxf

Posted August 12, 2009 - 01:01 AM

Well I might be making the bike street legal some day but when I go riding at night with my buddy(on an atv) it would be nice if he could see me using the brake(as I can with him)

Once you have your WR dialed in your buddy on a quad should be so far behind you............

• Yamaha_James

Posted August 12, 2009 - 07:59 AM

Once you have your WR dialed in your buddy on a quad should be so far behind you............

Haha well this can be done on my TT-R, howerver I like doing trail riding with my bud, so we tend to stick together, however I will be doing some riding with another WR450F and his buds and some riding with people on crf250f's (Gag:p )

• yrun

Posted August 12, 2009 - 09:06 AM

Usually dual sport conversions only use the rear brake to trigger the rear brake light. The front brake lever is almost never used to trigger the rear break light with conversion kits. That is just how it is. Unless the bike is street legal stock.

If your looking to dual sport your bike check out Trick Dual Sport. Again the front lever is usually not used on a dual sport conversion to trigger the rear brake light. And no you don't need a different lever. Even if you decide to run a actuator on it to light up the rear light.

I guess it depends where your located as far as what is legal for riding on the road. Awhile back I street titled a KLX400R here in Illinois and it was necessary for the brake light to be activated "independantly" by front and rear brake levers (the state police inspector checked this as well); Consequently I had to add "two" hydraulic switches.

Joe

PS-I have my eye on this bike as well:thumbsup:

• Yamaha_James

Posted August 12, 2009 - 09:38 AM

I guess it depends where your located as far as what is legal for riding on the road. Awhile back I street titled a KLX400R here in Illinois and it was necessary for the brake light to be activated "independantly" by front and rear brake levers (the state police inspector checked this as well); Consequently I had to add "two" hydraulic switches.

Joe

PS-I have my eye on this bike as well:thumbsup:

I believe that is the case here aswell. I believe in need the brake light to come on wether I pull/push the fron/rear brake.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.