hot cams on 426

11 replies to this topic
  • offroadrider12

Posted August 07, 2009 - 10:44 PM

I was considering getting my brother the hot cams for his 02 426 for Christmas so he could eliminate the manual decompression lever for startup. He uses it for woods riding. But I was wondering what to get. Should I only get him the exhaust cam, or both the intake & exhaust cams? And do these cams hurt the bottom end power at all? He would actually like to gain bottom end power, I'm sure he wouldn't want to lose any down low.

Some input from someone who has the hotcams on their 426 would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

• DeeCee

Posted August 08, 2009 - 12:54 AM

The '03 YZ450 exhaust cam works just fine. Gives a good power spread which is ideal for woods riding. Remember, for woods you don't won't more power, just a good spread of power.

• tmc55

Posted August 08, 2009 - 08:24 AM

i just put one in mine and it works awsome NEW YAMAHA YZ426F 2000-02 HOTCAMS HOT CAMS EXHAUST CAM on ebay

• grayracer513

Posted August 08, 2009 - 09:17 AM

The '03 YZ450 exhaust cam works just fine. Gives a good power spread which is ideal for woods riding. Remember, for woods you don't won't more power, just a good spread of power.

That would have been my recommendation at one time, too, but since the price of the OEM cam has risen past that of Hot Cams', I think it better to use theirs. The current stage one is nearly identical to the 450 grind, and the timing marks are already set up for the 426, so you don't need any special instructions to install them.

• offroadrider12

Posted August 08, 2009 - 09:55 PM

That would have been my recommendation at one time, too, but since the price of the OEM cam has risen past that of Hot Cams', I think it better to use theirs. The current stage one is nearly identical to the 450 grind, and the timing marks are already set up for the 426, so you don't need any special instructions to install them.

So you would use only the hotcams exhaust cam?

I'm kinda leery about the 450f cam since somebody said the pitch on the teeth is different from those on the 426.

• grayracer513

Posted August 08, 2009 - 10:13 PM

I'm kinda leery about the 450f cam since somebody said the pitch on the teeth is different from those on the 426.

The pitch is the same. The profile is a little different, and the chain sits higher on the OEM 450 cam than it ideally should, but in the 6 years people have been using them in earlier bikes, it has never caused a single problem.

My only reason for recommending the Hot Cams unit over the OEM is price and simplicity, as stated above.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • buzzgrizz

Posted August 08, 2009 - 11:18 PM

go with hot cams just recently did my 426 with the exhaust cam and i am happy with the results

• tmc55

Posted August 09, 2009 - 05:14 AM

i agree get the hot cam on ebay for 129.00 dollars well worth it.

• YZ400dave

Posted August 09, 2009 - 07:04 PM

Get him a new cam chain while your at it. I just did the mod to my 99yz400 with the stage 1 hotcam last week and being cheap i didnt get a new chain.. went for the first real ride this weekend (camping at Busco Beach) the cam slipped forward one tooth the first day and i went in and fixed it then it did it again today and i put it on the trailer for the rest of the trip...

• offroadrider12

Posted August 09, 2009 - 10:08 PM

Which is better, the Pro-X cam chain or OEM? or other? I'm assuming the guides should be replaced as well?

• grayracer513

Posted August 10, 2009 - 08:11 AM

OEM chain. The guides will not likely need replacement, but you should take a look.

• dunerat

Posted August 10, 2009 - 07:49 PM

just installed both in. and ex. cams,better throttle responce and snap.only road it around the block but from what it feels like is no loss of low or mid.,mid is stronger.gonna ride KM single tracks in two weeks,the real test.PS installation was a snap:thumbsup:weird not to have to do the starting ritual.i like

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.