needing advise finding and moding a WR

31 replies to this topic
  • bigcam

Posted August 09, 2009 - 01:07 PM

Personally I think you may be better off getting a good WR 450, newest you can for the best $$, in the best shape, put in Hotcams, a exhaust/pipe, and jet it correctly, or go with a JD Jet kit, and call it a day, stop working on it, and go out and have a blast.
That being said, I have never ridden a 400 or 426, but I can't see them having more power the a equally tweaked 450.

that is what i was thinking before i ever started this thread. but then i started thinking they had to of changed stuff and would the changes be better or not? for quality and the way i like my bikes. and a spec sheet wont tell me every thing i want to know. the guys riding them will find all the problems one mite have vs the other bike don't. stuff like that.

i guess you could say im trying to learn every thing about 3 diffrent bikes in about what 10 15 diffrent years all in one thread. lol but hey im learning alot more on what i want and also making all the other threads i read make more sence.

• pablo83

Posted August 09, 2009 - 02:22 PM

did you read post #16? i posted 2 in a row.

Yes, but I was heading out the door to go for a ride so I just answered the easy question.

• pablo83

Posted August 09, 2009 - 02:39 PM

so it sounds like i want a WR400 2000 or newer so i can learn how to do the O ring mod and have steel valves for less work and more ride time. [COLOR="Red"]If you're looking for power, Ti valves are what you want. If you're looking for durability go for the steel[/COLOR]

also what is truly the diffrence parts, timing, and over all perfomance wise between the WR400 and YZ400 then the WR426 and YZ426. or the WR400 and YZ426 all being stock to stock. [COLOR="red"]If you're talking completely stock, the WR runs like PW80. The free mods have to be done to get the real WR potential. If you're talking about the WR with the freemods, the diffence between the YZ and WR are noticeable, but you can't do much about them because they are due to the wide ratio gearbox and the heavier flywheel because of the lighting circuit coil. So if you want lights and a wide ratio gearbox, you won't have the performance of the YZ.

I've owned an 98 YZ400, a 99 YZ400, a 00 WR400, and an 01 WR426. The YZ's pulled noticable harder than the WRs. I don't notice any difference in power between the WR400 and the WR426. Maybe a dyno could tell the difference, but I can't.[/COLOR]

or do they make a YZ400? [COLOR="red"]Yes, and for a little history lesson this bike was released in '97 and designed to be the first 4-stroke dirt bike to win the motocross championship, and it did just that. It was a huge leap forward for dirt bikes. This is the bike that started the modern 4-stroke dirt bike revolution.[/COLOR]

A couple other notes on year differences:
The 426's/450's have 2 stage compression damping on their rear shocks, while the 400's are single stage. I remember reading an article about year model differences in the 450's. There was some kind of problem on the first year 450 which was corrected the following year, but I have no idea what it was.

• bigcam

Posted August 09, 2009 - 02:58 PM

ok im fallowing ya. now what els can be done? let say i get anether wr400 do all the free mods put an aftermarket exhust on it YZ cams (or is there better cams then that? ) some kind of jetting kit. is there any thing els i can do if i deside i want more? besides boring it out. i guess i really don't know much of the aftermarket hot rod parts.

• pablo83

Posted August 09, 2009 - 06:38 PM

ok im fallowing ya. now what els can be done? let say i get anether wr400 do all the free mods put an aftermarket exhust on it YZ cams (or is there better cams then that? ) some kind of jetting kit. is there any thing els i can do if i deside i want more? besides boring it out. i guess i really don't know much of the aftermarket hot rod parts.

You can turn the WR cam one tooth over to have YZ timing, so there's no use getting YZ cams. Hotcams have various grinds that get more agressive so if you're looking for more power you're looking for aftermarket cams.

Other power options:
ram air (not very effective below 90 MPH)
high compression piston
high compression piston with alcohol fuel
high compression piston with nitromenthane
nitrous
turbocharger
supercharger

That's all I can think of
super charger

• CanadianWR450

Posted August 10, 2009 - 02:30 AM

"I remember reading an article about year model differences in the 450's. There was some kind of problem on the first year 450 which was corrected the following year, but I have no idea what it was."

That was the first year 450 in 03. They had a issue with the woodruff key in the E-Start.

Do not forget the benefits of e-start, that alone is enough the go to a 450 over a 400/426.

for this:
"then i started thinking they had to of changed stuff and would the changes be better or not?"

I think it's safe to say, newer is always better performance wise in the MX world, with some small exceptions of first year products, etc, but they are always improving things like suspension, handling, etc. The WR has been the same basic engine for years now, with some changes in exhaust, cam's, timing...etc. which makes almost no difference if you change exhaust and cam's, etc. Also remember they went from steel frame to aluminium in 06 or 07.

Of course, if you simply want brute power, you can always shop for a CR or KX 500 2 stroke too....lol

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bigcam

Posted August 10, 2009 - 04:31 AM

You can turn the WR cam one tooth over to have YZ timing, so there's no use getting YZ cams. Hotcams have various grinds that get more agressive so if you're looking for more power you're looking for aftermarket cams.

Other power options:
ram air (not very effective below 90 MPH)
high compression piston
high compression piston with alcohol fuel
high compression piston with nitromenthane
nitrous
turbocharger
supercharger

That's all I can think of
super charger

ok. some of that sounds a bit to far and more on the drag racing side. lol

just some thing i was wondering about. do they have any aftermarket CDI setups for them?

and what is a good site to check out hotcams?

"I remember reading an article about year model differences in the 450's. There was some kind of problem on the first year 450 which was corrected the following year, but I have no idea what it was."

That was the first year 450 in 03. They had a issue with the woodruff key in the E-Start.

Do not forget the benefits of e-start, that alone is enough the go to a 450 over a 400/426.

for this:
"then i started thinking they had to of changed stuff and would the changes be better or not?"

I think it's safe to say, newer is always better performance wise in the MX world, with some small exceptions of first year products, etc, but they are always improving things like suspension, handling, etc. The WR has been the same basic engine for years now, with some changes in exhaust, cam's, timing...etc. which makes almost no difference if you change exhaust and cam's, etc. Also remember they went from steel frame to aluminium in 06 or 07.

Of course, if you simply want brute power, you can always shop for a CR or KX 500 2 stroke too....lol

so i know to stay away from the 03 450s.

i don't know about E start yet tho i mite get to lazy not kicking it over all the time. lol but then agan my kicking foot has been broke since the last time i had to kick over a bike. (500lbs of 4 wheels will not do what a bike will opps)

i think a 2 stroke would be some thing i would have as a back up bike. i mean who don't love a screeming 2 stroke lol.

are the aluminium frames just as strong?

i just picked up an old 85 RM250 last week dirt cheap and within 3 days i have a 6" chunk of frame broke out. (opps agan lol )

you guys are very helpfull thanks a bunch :thumbsup: keep the info coming.

• pablo83

Posted August 10, 2009 - 08:31 AM

http://www.hotcamsinc.com/

• bigcam

Posted August 10, 2009 - 04:18 PM

what do you guys think of this big bore kit? i know i have to have a bike first but i can't help looking lol

http://www.procycle....es/yzf-wrf.html

• avapxia

Posted September 23, 2009 - 01:59 AM

I come from the old school of dirt riders, where even alone I'm too ashamed to be pushing a button to start a bike. My 04 WR was the first dirt bike I rode that had that silly luxury. There were times though that I was so tired being stuck somewhere where you even had a hard time finding a good solid spot to step on, the seat height doesn;t help on those things either, where I did press it and off I went into the sunset, or was it moonrise?
When the bike has sat for a few weeks of being busy, just in case it doesn't want to start first kick, there is no reason in wasting the little battery juice. There is usually something wrong if it hasn't started second kick.
Cold or hot I must be really out of it to use the button. If you can't kick it don't ride. There is something about battery reliance and off road riding that doesn't blend too well.

• bigcam

Posted September 24, 2009 - 05:47 AM

I come from the old school of dirt riders, where even alone I'm too ashamed to be pushing a button to start a bike. My 04 WR was the first dirt bike I rode that had that silly luxury. There were times though that I was so tired being stuck somewhere where you even had a hard time finding a good solid spot to step on, the seat height doesn;t help on those things either, where I did press it and off I went into the sunset, or was it moonrise?
When the bike has sat for a few weeks of being busy, just in case it doesn't want to start first kick, there is no reason in wasting the little battery juice. There is usually something wrong if it hasn't started second kick.
Cold or hot I must be really out of it to use the button. If you can't kick it don't ride. There is something about battery reliance and off road riding that doesn't blend too well.

yea i hear ya there.

i rode with a guy that had the E start on his fuel injected bike. well me and my buddys gave him alot of crap for that E start till he got mad and said watch this it will start first kick. well it didn't start first kick or 2nd so he got even more mad and kick it over about 50 times and it would not start. so me and the other guys started are up showing how ezy ares did blah blah ya know. well ended up he had to use the E start to get the bike going. it is funny how badly tuned stuff gets with E start. my work 4 wheeler is the same way. it wont start with the kick start. i really should fix that but this 4 wheelers kicks the wrong way lol ( fowords unlike a bike) but it don't ever see a trail so i guess it's not such a big deal with it.

• CanadianWR450

Posted September 24, 2009 - 02:46 PM

Haha! I don't know about where you ride, but I'm ALWAYS in some nasty a** place where kicking is just a royal pain too do if you don't HAVE to!
lol..

That being said my e-starter packed it in, and I went pretty much a entire season before getting around to fixing it. The auto-decomp bikes are FAMOUS for their ease of kicking/starting, and your absolutely right about the fact that if it doesn't start after a very few kicks, you should start double checking things. My limit is 4 kicks...then I start checking basics like "Gas on?..Choke? (if cold..)"

But where I ride, it's always soft, gooey, off camber...big hill...and my personal favorite that for some reason always seems to happen to me...river crossings.....when I stall. Trying to hold bike up on the tip of one toe and get a good kick....being eaten alive by bugs...I can do it when I need to, but why the heck would I WANT too....lol

I admit it...I love the button.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.