needing advise finding and moding a WR

31 replies to this topic
  • bigcam

Posted August 07, 2009 - 10:41 PM

ok i had a 2000 WR400 mods: gray wire cut, full throttle, baffle lost, and timing adjusted. now this bike had this stuff all done before i had it so i don't know how to do any of it. well i liked that bike alot (sold it:banghead: ) now looking for some thing like it but faster. i liked the gear setup it would run 90mph top end.

with that said what year / size of bike should i go with this time? im thinking a WR450 but what year and will it ride like the old 400? i want more power but the same feel of the old 400. i don't mind kick start. so if you think i should stick with the older kick start that is fine. i just want to up grade from that old 400. not really year wise but riding wise and power. or would it just be best for me to get anether WR400 and mod the crap out of it for power?

i ride every where i mean every where. sand, dirt, grass, tracks, street, jumps, gravel, threw trees, over rocks, hill climbs. what ever is in my way i have to ride over it and that old WR400 worked great all around for the way i ride.

or atlest tell me what they changed between the years and size of the WRs to help me deside what one would work best.

also can i get some detailed info on how to do the free mods and what i should buy for after market parts and where to get them.

thanks guys. i will be happy for any and all info i can get.

• Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted August 08, 2009 - 05:56 PM

Can't really offer any info on the 450's because I still ride a '99 WR400. But I do have two questions 1) Are you a world class rider that truly rode the 400 beyond its power capabilities 2) Where are you riding in Iowa that you need the ability to go 90 mph offroad?

Brian

• bigcam

Posted August 08, 2009 - 06:36 PM

Can't really offer any info on the 450's because I still ride a '99 WR400. But I do have two questions 1) Are you a world class rider that truly rode the 400 beyond its power capabilities 2) Where are you riding in Iowa that you need the ability to go 90 mph offroad?

Brian

no im no world class rider. an no i have never rode in the state of iowa. yes i have run 90mph off road. after riding that bike for 5 years i just got to use to the power and wanted more. i ran that bike wide open most the time i was on it. like i said i ride every where so i end up on many trails that i can just fly down and i just can't seem to get anough of that high speed rush down trails and gravel roads. also i was thinking on puting a plate on this bike and ride it right down the highway. other wise i would go to a YZ but the gears would not work for highway or my riding.

im not trying to play like im this great awsome rider i just like to go fast as i can. heck my old riding buddys hated me because after 60mph i would loose them. there bikes ( YZ426 YZ125 YZ450 and some odd brand 550) they was all stuck about 60 right at the rev limiters just plain out of gears. most the time we went to farming dale in S.D. great place to ride and plenty of open land to go fast many hill climbs hundreds of tracks all over big and small jumps. check it out for your self. you will see what i mean when you hit high gear and feel like your going slow still. or maybe that is just me.

please don't take me as a joke or being a smart butt.

atlest tell me the diffrence between the older wr400 and the 450s and between the years so i can try and make the right buy the first time. then we could move on to the mods.

if any of you want after i get a bike come ride with me you will see what i mean and have a great time aswell.

• pablo83

Posted August 08, 2009 - 09:07 PM

i ride every where i mean every where. sand, dirt, grass, tracks, street, jumps, gravel, threw trees, over rocks, hill climbs. what ever is in my way i have to ride over it and that old WR400 worked great all around for the way i ride.

Sounds like "that old WR400" was the right bike for you. From what I understand the newer 450's are a little more toned down than the 400/426 so the 450 power gain is minimal. Of course a set of cams will make a good bit more power on them.

IMO the KTM 520/525/530 makes good power like the WRs and they have a lighter front end for improved steering, so if you have the dough you'd probably like one of those. Plus you get a 6th gear. I know a guy who races the Baja and he hits 98 MPH on his 530.

The CRF450 technically makes more power than the WR/YZ but it's all at the top end so you have to keep the thing revved up all the time and for me it's not as fun to ride.

If you decide to go back to the 400, PM me, I've got one for sale.

• CanadianWR450

Posted August 09, 2009 - 03:01 AM

I think the 04 450's had the most aggressive engine set up (still need to do all the free mods though). Not saying they had more power, just more aggressive timing and such and power delivery. They started to "smooth" them out in 05.

From the sounds of it though, you want a pipe, cam's, which probably makes which year a mute point if you do put in cam's, and a good exhaust/pipe

• ww44wrf450f

Posted August 09, 2009 - 07:09 AM

The mod's are basic stuff and you can search or ask when you decide? Personally I would purchase new or as near to new as possible with little hours on it. MY 06wr will only be a bike length behind and then pass a crf450 in a drag with stock gearing. It has all the free mods,ais kit, DR.D pipe -- 4th gear gas only wheelies, and with a hard pull on the handlebars in 5th.

• bigcam

Posted August 09, 2009 - 07:15 AM

Sounds like "that old WR400" was the right bike for you. From what I understand the newer 450's are a little more toned down than the 400/426 so the 450 power gain is minimal. Of course a set of cams will make a good bit more power on them.

IMO the KTM 520/525/530 makes good power like the WRs and they have a lighter front end for improved steering, so if you have the dough you'd probably like one of those. Plus you get a 6th gear. I know a guy who races the Baja and he hits 98 MPH on his 530.

The CRF450 technically makes more power than the WR/YZ but it's all at the top end so you have to keep the thing revved up all the time and for me it's not as fun to ride.

If you decide to go back to the 400, PM me, I've got one for sale.

so if i was to get a 450 and swaped cams would the 50cc more help anough to see a diffrence then a 400 with the same cams? or could the 400 take the cams that a 450 can? also how much of a gain would i get out of a cam swap? for ether size bike.

also i have been thing about going to KTM but i have never rode one to see how they are. i have rode hondas 450 and i did not like it at all. i didn't seem to feel it had more power by the seat of my pants feel. it only had about 20 or 30 hours on it when i tryed it. i think i would consider KTM if i had the chance to ride one and see how i like it.

and i will PM you

I think the 04 450's had the most aggressive engine set up (still need to do all the free mods though). Not saying they had more power, just more aggressive timing and such and power delivery. They started to "smooth" them out in 05.

From the sounds of it though, you want a pipe, cam's, which probably makes which year a mute point if you do put in cam's, and a good exhaust/pipe

yea a cam and exhaust swap wouldn't be a big deal.

see im big on building diesel pickups. (mostly dodge cummins) and what year of truck makes a big diffrence even know there all the same size motor till mid year 07.

so i kinda guessed bikes could have there diffrence between years like some year may have a better carb or better piston or biger valves in the head. and i don't know any of that on these bikes.

anether question comes to mind here. are the 450s just a 400 bored out or is there more to it then that? im guessing there is?

• pablo83

Posted August 09, 2009 - 07:53 AM

so if i was to get a 450 and swaped cams would the 50cc more help anough to see a diffrence then a 400 with the same cams? [COLOR="Red"]This would be like a 50cc over big bore kit on the 400, so the answer is YES, you would notice a difference[/COLOR]

or could the 400 take the cams that a 450 can? [COLOR="red"]As far as I know, cams are interchangable between all years, but I could be wrong. I have an '03 450 auto decomp cam in my '01 426. I compared this to the '99YZ400 cam and the '99 cam was 1mm taller, so as far as I know, the '99 cam is the more agressive than the '03 cam. I have looked, but cannot find stock cam grind data for the various years [/COLOR]

also how much of a gain would i get out of a cam swap? for ether size bike. [COLOR="red"]Good question. I'd think a site like Hotcams would have this kind of info, but you're taking the word of the guys that's trying to sell you his stuff, so you need to keep that in mind.[/COLOR]

so i kinda guessed bikes could have there diffrence between years like some year may have a better carb or better piston or biger valves in the head. and i don't know any of that on these bikes. [COLOR="red"]IIRC, in '00 they switched to an upgraded carb. It didn't perform any better, but the slide was less prone to cracking, although the older carb has a more durable accel. pump linkage. With the 426 they switched from steel to Ti valves. I don't know much about the 450 years.[/COLOR]

anether question comes to mind here. are the 450s just a 400 bored out or is there more to it then that? im guessing there is? [COLOR="red"]The 426 is a bored out 400. The 450 has many different parts than the earier bike, but like I said, I think the cams are interchangable[/COLOR]

:thumbsup:

• 2in2out

Posted August 09, 2009 - 08:12 AM

"I have an '03 450 auto decomp cam in my '01 426."

Are you set on WR timinng or YZ timing with this cam?

I have an '02 426 that I've been thinking of doing this cam swap this winter while I'm checking valves. I'm curious of where the performance differences are in the timing, and how it may effect ride.

• bigcam

Posted August 09, 2009 - 08:19 AM

so i can bore a 400 to a 450 cool. is there any draw backs if i ever went that far?

so witch carb would be a better carb so im riding more then working on it? also witch valves are better? was the changer to Ti really better or not?

and the question comes would it be better to bore a 400 to a 450 or just plain start with a 450?

i don't think i would just get a new bike then go and bore it right a way but i would wait till it was time for new piston and rings.

hopfully we get some more 450 guys in here to help fill in the blanks.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bigcam

Posted August 09, 2009 - 08:23 AM

I have an '02 426 that I've been thinking of doing this cam swap this winter while I'm checking valves. I'm curious of where the performance differences are in the timing, and how it may effect ride.

i think the only thing i am set on is the WR wider gears and lights.

also is the auto decomp mean you don't have to use the decompression lever to start it?

ohh sorry i just seen that was for pablo

• pablo83

Posted August 09, 2009 - 09:23 AM

You are stuck with the WR timing. I understand the hotcams exhaust cam come with an auto decomp and and the more agressive grind/timing of the YZ.

• pablo83

Posted August 09, 2009 - 09:31 AM

so i can bore a 400 to a 450 cool. is there any draw backs if i ever went that far?
[COLOR="Red"]NO, you cannot bore the 400 to a 450 without a whole hell of a lot of custom work. If you got a 426 crank and jug plus a Wiseco 440 kit you could take it up to 444cc. Without the 426 crank/jug, I think the largest Wiseco makes is a 428cc.[/COLOR]

so witch carb would be a better carb so im riding more then working on it? also witch valves are better?
[COLOR="red"]As I stated, the post 2000 carb is less likely to crack the slide, but the accel. pump is a little weaker, but this can be fixed with the O-ring mod for less than $1[/COLOR]

was the changer to Ti really better or not?[COLOR="red"]Ti vavles are lighter and therefore don't need as stiff of valve springs so the engine doesn't use as much power spinning the cam so there is more power to go to the back wheel. Ti vavles need to be adjusted more often as they are more prone to bend.[/COLOR]

and the question comes would it be better to bore a 400 to a 450 or just plain start with a 450? [COLOR="red"]depends if you like to work on bikes or not. A 426 with a 444 big bore kit will probably still be less expensive than a 450.[/COLOR]

:thumbsup:

• pablo83

Posted August 09, 2009 - 09:36 AM

also is the auto decomp mean you don't have to use the decompression lever to start it?

correct. and it makes life a whole lot easier, but there is a fair amount of evidance that the decomp mechanism slowly damages the valve bucket which will in turn damage the cam. I replace the valve bucket every couple of years ($50 per bucket) to prevent this.

• Slick_Nick

Posted August 09, 2009 - 09:38 AM

Once you have E-Start you will never want to go back. :thumbsup:

• bigcam

Posted August 09, 2009 - 09:56 AM

so it sounds like i want a WR400 2000 or newer so i can learn how to do the O ring mod and have steel valves for less work and more ride time.

i really like working on bikes and ATVs but my main bike i think i would like less work and more play time.

also what is truly the diffrence parts, timing, and over all perfomance wise between the WR400 and YZ400 then the WR426 and YZ426. or the WR400 and YZ426 all being stock to stock.

or do they make a YZ400? im not sure. i have never seen one.

so i guess we need a WR450 guy to give us some info on them before i buy some thing.

thank you a bunch pablo your really helping me learn this.

• bigcam

Posted August 09, 2009 - 10:00 AM

correct. and it makes life a whole lot easier, but there is a fair amount of evidance that the decomp mechanism slowly damages the valve bucket which will in turn damage the cam. I replace the valve bucket every couple of years ($50 per bucket) to prevent this.

ok now what is a valve bucket? maybe a pic would help me?

• pablo83

Posted August 09, 2009 - 10:21 AM

ok now what is a valve bucket? maybe a pic would help me?

Here's more than you'd ever want to know about the issue:

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=755282

• bigcam

Posted August 09, 2009 - 10:54 AM

Here's more than you'd ever want to know about the issue:

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=755282

did you read post #16? i posted 2 in a row.

and im still reading the about this issue thanks agan:thumbsup:

• CanadianWR450

Posted August 09, 2009 - 12:07 PM

Personally I think you may be better off getting a good WR 450, newest you can for the best $$, in the best shape, put in Hotcams, a exhaust/pipe, and jet it correctly, or go with a JD Jet kit, and call it a day, stop working on it, and go out and have a blast.
That being said, I have never ridden a 400 or 426, but I can't see them having more power the a equally tweaked 450.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.