Cush hubs???

5 replies to this topic
  • 400jy

Posted March 31, 2003 - 04:51 AM

I was thinking about getting a dual sport bike and noticed that my local dealer is selling brand new 03 650R's for $4650.I was looking at it and noticed that it did not have a cush hub on the rear for street use.Has anyone installed a cush hub?Where did you find it? How much did it cost?I would rather have the water cooled 650R than the air cooled 650L.I do not need to worry about street legal equipement,you do not need it where I live.

• Dutch

Posted March 31, 2003 - 06:16 AM

The 650L is street legal and doesn't have a cush drive.
My opinion is that it is not necessary.

• smashinz2002

Posted March 31, 2003 - 07:10 PM

A cush hub is not really necessary I don't think. I can't remember exactly the reason for them honestly. I do know that the XR650L version doesn't have a cush hub though. I have a '00 model XR650 R model, with the power up kit, and dual sport kit, and almost 5000 miles on it, with no problems. In fact, my bike has never had any sort of problems at all since I've had it. So it's my opinion that you probably don't need to worry about getting a cush hub.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 400jy

Posted April 01, 2003 - 04:10 AM

Thanks for the input.I have been hearing conflicting reports on whether you need one or not.I suppose as long as you accelerate smoothly on pavement you should be allright.

• Portland_650R

Posted April 01, 2003 - 04:37 PM

My understanding is that cush hubs prevent transmission damage due to the shock of shifting on pavement - the dirt allows wheelspin to take that shock, so dirt bikes don't have them. I have only one anecdotal bit to base this on - an XR400 rider whose gearbox went, and whose dealer wouldn't guarantee it because it was ridden on the street.

• smashinz2002

Posted April 01, 2003 - 06:59 PM

Ok, thats makes sense. I was wondering what the cush hubs were for.

Related Content

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  41 replies

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

• Hot  37 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.