Is WR426 overflow bottle needed???

9 replies to this topic
  • wr426

Posted September 24, 2002 - 06:07 PM

Do I really need to keep htis heavy overflow bottle on my wr I never notice it getting hot with it on their?? I figure it might save a pound or two if i take it off. Thanks for any Advice,jim

• SealClubber

Posted September 24, 2002 - 06:56 PM

I have used mine a couple of times. But the trails I ride can be slow and rocky. YZ's don't have one so you probably don't need it.

• PMAUST

Posted September 24, 2002 - 07:24 PM

WR426, you probably can get away without it but, why? I think that overflow bottle is great. I wish I had one on my KTM. The amount of weight you would save by getting rid of it is trivial. In my honest opinion, I think the advantages of having it outweigh the minscule extra weight added. Just my .02 cents.

• StreetMoto

Posted September 24, 2002 - 08:04 PM

Not to say that you need or dont need the overflow bottle but there is a definate weight to it. Remember, the overflow bottle may only weigh 3/4 of a pound but a gallon of water will weigh in at a little over 8 pounds! It all adds up.

BTW, Ive been running without my overflow sense my bike was new. Ive yet had to put any water in it.

• ddialogue

Posted September 25, 2002 - 02:07 AM

It really depends on what type of riding your doing. If you're riding a lot of fast stuff then I would say take it off. However, if you're riding a lot of slow stuff or you ever ride dunes then I would say leave it on. My 02 is always slurping coolant in and out of it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted September 25, 2002 - 02:48 AM

Slow plonking WILL overheat your bike >> the reservoir is nice insurance to have. For fast riding and/or cool temps you are all set >> remove it.

If you remove your overflow indefinitely, you can install a YZ side panel (on the left side >> It is sleeker and does not protrude so much.

I carry maybe ~< 1 qt. in my overflow.

Water weighs 8#/gallon.
Salt [sea] water weighs 8.8#/gallon.
Coolant is somewhere in between.

>> We are looking at 2# + hose and bottle weight.

• Highsider1

Posted September 25, 2002 - 03:27 AM

If you remove it, do you need to replace the radiator cap? My guess is that the YZ has a different cap that does not allow coolant to flow out.

Personally, I would'nt remove it. My '02 will overheat in a couple of minutes if I leave it running while waiting for the trail to clear ahead of me, or while waiting for others to catch up. If you do remove it, I would recommend that you kill the motor whenever you need to stop for, say, more than 1/2 minute. As far as the weight, minimal. I did'nt check, but my guess is that when the tank is a proper level, less than a pint of coolant is present.

My opinion is that it is excellent insurance against expensive engine repairs.

• YAMAKAZE

Posted September 25, 2002 - 04:54 AM

All Caps (Including the YZ) allow for venting, If not your Rad's would explode when over pressureized.

Bonzai :)

• SFO

Posted September 25, 2002 - 05:27 AM

Originally posted by wr426:
Do I really need to keep htis heavy overflow bottle on my wr I never notice it getting hot with it on their?? I figure it might save a pound or two if i take it off. Thanks for any Advice,jim

I see you are from roseville.
If you ride foresthill it will be 50/50 that you need it. Personally I swapped the subframe out and just run a 1.8bar rad cap off of an '01 kx65.
I haven't had any boil over issues but the catch tank is good insurance.

• AZWR426

Posted September 25, 2002 - 08:13 PM

Do a search. I can't count the number of threads from guys that took it off and had problems....

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.