04 yz450f valve job won't kick over

4 replies to this topic
  • dorrell989

Posted August 06, 2009 - 11:09 PM

well i recently did my first valve job on my 04 yz450f and man was it a pain. the buckets didn't want to come off and we put it back together and took it apart about 20 times! finally got it all in spec and timed up but now i have it all back together and the damn thing won't even kick over. i finally got it to kick and it just let out one huge backfire. i weigh about 180 lbs and standing full weight on the kick start lever wont really kick it over. what did i do wrong? also have one piece left out. its a black plastic piece. probably something for the change. kind of in the shape of a crescent about 5-7 inches long? sorry i'm a newb to this and don't have much time to look it up. any help would be appreciated.

• Pezman04wrx

Posted August 07, 2009 - 02:57 AM

The part you have left over is a cam chain guide ... I'd go back to square one asap and if you're lucky you didn't push the piston past a valve that wasn't supposed to be open ...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted August 07, 2009 - 06:17 AM

Like the man said, that's the cam chain rear guide, and is the part that applies the pressure from the tensioner to the chain. Without that part, the cam chain will (will, not may) slip before the engine even starts, putting the cams out of time, and causing a collision with the piston.

You will have to take it apart again, and the head will need to be checked for bent valves.

• dorrell989

Posted August 07, 2009 - 11:17 AM

alright the piece i left out was the chain guide/protector thing in the top of the valve cover. i think my chain tensionor does not work. i back the bolt out and it does not get loose. i checked the timing when i had the valve cover back off and it is still on just extremely hard to kick over still or even turn over with a socket (counter clockwise so i don't skip timing).

• grayracer513

Posted August 07, 2009 - 12:01 PM

Check behind the flywheel to see if your cam chain is correctly seated on the crank sprocket. You could have a "looped" link hanging off it.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.