How not to change the spark plug

6 replies to this topic
  • gdbarr1976

Posted August 06, 2009 - 06:32 AM

I am putting this out there because it has cost me $240 and might just save somebody from making the same misstake.

Their was a post a while back asking about how to change a plug. The answer from sir Grayracer was to remove the tank. I said you could do it without removing the tank but it was tight. DON'T DO IT!

You can get the plug cap/coil off with the tank on but it is a very tight fit. In fact it is so tight that you will crack the coil and when it gets hot it will start doing funny things like quiting.

The first coil that went out I thought was a fluke. That was on my 06 a couple of years ago. This last time around it went out on my 08. I swaped parts with my friends bike till I found the problem then realized I had cracked his too. Three coils @$80 each!

So, If you need to change your plug, pull the tank, disconnect the wire to the coil then pull it out.

• Ga426owner

Posted August 06, 2009 - 06:42 AM

Thanks for sharing - it takes guts to admit one's mistakes. :thumbsup:

Now to learn from this, I am also wondering now if more owners that are having, what they think are misfiring/timing issues that get diagnosed as either Carb or CDI/TPS/stator related issues are in fact cracked or semi damaged coils from doing a plug change the wrong way.

• gdbarr1976

Posted August 06, 2009 - 07:19 AM

I've worked on bikes for alot of years. I am still amazed at the problems I cause.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted August 06, 2009 - 09:00 AM

Thanks for sharing - it takes guts to admit one's mistakes. :thumbsup:

You will occasionally see me post some warning or other about mistakes that can be made. I will also sometimes ask that you do not inquire as to how I may have learned of the particular mistake in question, but sometimes I won't. I like to learn things from good teachers like Gary, but other times I am self-taught. :worthy:

• Ga426owner

Posted August 06, 2009 - 10:04 AM

I've worked on bikes for alot of years. I am still amazed at the problems I cause.

amen brother, that is why I made it law never to start working on my bike or my cars after any beers or cocktails....I can not tell you how many times that turned into a costly project...:thumbsup:

• gdbarr1976

Posted August 06, 2009 - 10:41 AM

amen brother, that is why I made it law never to start working on my bike or my cars after any beers or cocktails....I can not tell you how many times that turned into a costly project...:thumbsup:

This is a my short list of stupid things I've done

over tightened cam bolts (seized cam)
over tightened head bolts (cracked head)
under tightened oil drain plug(lost oil, seized motor)
over tighteded nut on the crankshaft on a 1978 husky. I was trying to loosen it and twisted the end of the crank shaft off with a air wrench, reverse threads
Put the slide in a 1973cts in wrong, would not start, got a friend to help push me off, crashed my brains out when it started with the throttle wide open.
Rebuilt motor in 06 but did not replace the timing chain, timing slipped, killed motor.
Not tightening the carb after a jetting change and it came off over a jump.
And finally, did not replace the bolt holding on my gas tank on my 1980yz250 the tank came off over a jump, pulled off the gas line and the motor caught on fire. The good thing is that I got my picture in the paper!!:worthy:

Sadly, there's more:ride:

• rangoneer

Posted August 06, 2009 - 11:11 AM

x2 ..... I say "NO" to drinking and wrenching! :worthy:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.