DRZ 400 or WR450F or WR250F???

7 replies to this topic
  • slackasscruiser

Posted August 05, 2009 - 07:42 PM

I currently have a 2005 DRZ400. I love the engine but HATE the weight. I weigh 240lbs. Which bike, WR450 or WR250 would be more comparable to how smooth the power is on my DRZ? I am not looking for a rocket ship but also need something to haul my big butt around. I ride mostly woods and single track. Always loved Yamaha.

• rkwfxd1

Posted August 06, 2009 - 12:02 AM

I've never ridden the DRZ. I probably would have purchased one but I wanted a new one and they stopped making them (or at least selling them in the states).

Anyway I just went from a XR250 - very smooth power delivery - to a WR450F. I ride So Cal deserts but I prefer the more technical areas as opposed to just blasting baja style across open land.

I have done all the "free" mods on my WR and I find the power to be VERY controllable.

I too was looking hard at a WR250 but my friend talked me out of it. I am very thankful for that. Get the WR450. I love this bike.

• Nitro380

Posted August 06, 2009 - 06:37 AM

I've never ridden the DRZ. I probably would have purchased one but I wanted a new one and they stopped making them (or at least selling them in the states).

Anyway I just went from a XR250 - very smooth power delivery - to a WR450F. I ride So Cal deserts but I prefer the more technical areas as opposed to just blasting baja style across open land.

I have done all the "free" mods on my WR and I find the power to be VERY controllable.

I too was looking hard at a WR250 but my friend talked me out of it. I am very thankful for that. Get the WR450. I love this bike.

I have just climbed off the DRZ, great bike, same thoughts tossed the coin for the 250, glad I got the 450. WR450 09 is the finest bike I have ever ridden

• Thumper_Bloke

Posted August 06, 2009 - 06:50 AM

I've ridden all 3, and own a WR450. So, my opinion is biased, but you would be very happy with a WR450.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • harvmushman

Posted August 06, 2009 - 07:01 AM

I had a DRZ400e up until earlier this year. I now have BOTH a WR250 and a WR450. I can give you some random thoughts.
The WR450 is better in almost any way I can think of. EXCEPT the criteria for smoothness that you specifically noted. The DRZ engine is just silky. This very well could be related to the extra weight that goes into that motor and frame. You feel the WR450 (I have a 2006, steel frame) powerplant much more, especially up in the bars.
The WR250 (mine is a 2007, aluminum frame) is smoother than the WR450. Hard to remember exactly, but I have to think it's comparable to the DRZ. But the 250 does not have the grunt of either of those others, obviously.
I way prefer the 250 out of the whole bunch for mountain goat trails, tight riding and gnarly stuff. It just goes and grabs traction, if in an undramatic fashion. Compared to the DRZ, it is eminently flickable and handles great.
I have my WR450 set up for Baja and the desert, which is what I used to use the DRZ for. The suspension is just so much better there is no comparison. It's just way more fun to ride than the DRZ in almost any condition other than the road!
For me, the WR450 is too much in the tight stuff. Power=weight in those conditions. For me, if I was riding in Pennsylvania, I would easily pick the 250. But I weigh about 60 pounds less than you do! Big friends have ridden my 250, and it worked. If you are not a demanding rider you might like it, and it would be EASY to ride. I have never had an easier bike to ride on in the woods. Just very forgiving.
That's my two cents.

• Regalman

Posted August 06, 2009 - 11:21 AM

I own both a WR450 and a DRZ400, and I've ridden a lot of 250s.

As far as straight line acceleration, I'd say the WR250 and DRZ400 are on pretty equal footing.

The power deliver is way different though. The 250 is like a 4 cylinder turbo that you constantly have to rev the piss out of. The 400 is like a 350 chevy enough torque to keep you going and it gets the job done. The 450 is like a freaking big bore on steriods. Turn on the switch and the front tire points towards the sky.

In all honestly, the biggest thing you notice between the 400 and 450 is how much quicker reving the 450 is. Throttle control is a must and it really does feel like rocket ship coming out of corners. Keeping the front end down requires work, where just the opposite is true with the DRZ.

• ww44wrf450f

Posted August 06, 2009 - 02:16 PM

AT 240lbs. go the 450 and mod it to your needs!! and you will need springs .50 front or even .52 and 6. for the rear or 6.2 --- save some money and do it yourself?? You will spend some money getting a wr to what you want and need, but it will last you a long, long time!!:thumbsup:

• slackasscruiser

Posted August 06, 2009 - 06:25 PM

Thanks for all the help!!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.