Electrex Dakar Kit on WR450

1 reply to this topic
  • Magile

Posted March 30, 2003 - 07:06 AM

Has anyone successfully mounted one of these on their WR450? I ordered one, hoping for a “plug&play” installation since my mechanical & electrical skills are modest.

I decided to use the stock tail lamp; it already has a tail/brake light. I cut off the Yamaha connector & added 3 bullet connectors. No problemo. The rear turn signals went on the stock WR fender nicely.

Next, I tried to fit the Dakar headlamp assembly. I removed the original headlamp, the bracket that held 4 Yamaha quick disconnects, & the odometer. The Dakar HL assembly mounted okay, but there wasn't any room left for the odometer :). I really wanted to keep the odo.

I draped the Dakar wire harness in place to see how it would all fit together. Now I was getting concerned, the Dakar bullet connectors for the stator/kill/ground don’t match _anything_ I could find on the Yamaha wire harness. Also, there was no e-start button on their handlebar switch. Okay, I’d just use the stock one.

Before I go any further, I thought I’d ask advice from y’all. I can still get the bike back to sock easily (before I add the brake banjo switches).

The way I see it, I’ll need to do more cutting & fitting if this is really going to work. Not exactly what I had in mind. Of course I may be overlooking something. If not I’m ready to send it back & try a Baja Design or make my own kit. Looks like front turn signals would mount on the stock HL assembly, & a horn should fit in there too. The bike already has a battery so that’s covered (why is there a battery in the Dakar kit anyway?).

I’m not panicked, just frustrated, since I really wanted to dual-sport with this. I have two weeks before I take Richard Lafferty’s Dirt School < http://www.richlafferty.com/ > and was hoping to have it finished by then.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • xr600r

Posted March 30, 2003 - 08:29 AM

the thing that scares me about some of those kits is hitting a tree on a tight single track trail, and wiping out the very expensive headlight assembly.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.