When to tear down????

10 replies to this topic
  • fordman

Posted August 04, 2009 - 06:37 PM

Ive got a 03 wr450 and its been a great bike I do regular maintenince on it but I am kinda worried about the top end since its 6 years old and hasnt been apart yet when would be a good time to tear it apart to check things out clutch, cyclinder, pistons and such I would rather tear it down and replace things before they break and cause other problems
thanks

• crf250r_motorhead

Posted August 04, 2009 - 11:10 PM

woah man.

6 years is a loooong time.

i would at least take a peak at your piston/cylinder..

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted August 05, 2009 - 06:03 AM

6 years is a loooong time.

Ha that is coming from a Honda guy :thumbsup:

Ive got a 03 wr450 and its been a great bike I do regular maintenince on it but I am kinda worried about the top end since its 6 years old and hasnt been apart yet when would be a good time to tear it apart to check things out clutch, cyclinder, pistons and such I would rather tear it down and replace things before they break and cause other problems
thanks

You dont make mention of much time or how many miles are on it so its hard to say. But at this point its up to you.

My Dad's 06 had 13K miles on it before we did a pistion and rings. Will we were in there, we did valve springs and valve seals. We put the stock valves and valve shims back in. To this day, it still starts first kick.

My buddy has an 01 WR426 and at 20K his crank started to go. We pulled it apart fixed the crank put a new piston and rings in...and guess what the stock valves are still in the bike.

• beezer

Posted August 05, 2009 - 06:15 AM

I wouldn't worry about it. They are known for running for ever.

If the bike starts easily then you're good.

• fordman

Posted August 05, 2009 - 05:12 PM

Bike starts fine other than the dead battery and it runs great I just dont want something to go wrong with the engine and have a major failure which i couldnt afford and would be out of a bike for a long time is there any way to see something like this coming Ive had the valves checked at the yamaha shop and they said that they havnt need any ajustment that doesnt seem right to me

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tribalbc

Posted August 05, 2009 - 05:27 PM

Well I have 8000km on my 07 and I haven't had to adjust the valves yet.
I plan on doing a new piston and camchain this winter.

• fordman

Posted August 05, 2009 - 05:52 PM

I might have 3500 to 4000 miles on the bike total i dont get to ride it a whole lot anymore (wife and baby thing) So maybe ill check it out after it gets to chilly to ride and hunting season starts up thanks for your help guys

• 02WR426Cali

Posted August 05, 2009 - 05:53 PM

My 02 wr426 had never been apart either and I thought the same thing you did. I kinda just wanted to freshen it up. Well after tearing into it and measuring everything I should have just slapped it back together since everything looked and measured like new even after the several hundred hours it had on it. But since I already had it apart I put in a new OEM piston and rings and cleaned up the carbon on the valves carefully trying to not take off any coating. I also put in new valve seals. But the cylinder still had lots of crosshatching on it. I just look at it as preventative maitanence.

• motox04

Posted August 05, 2009 - 07:44 PM

I might have 3500 to 4000 miles on the bike total i dont get to ride it a whole lot anymore (wife and baby thing) So maybe ill check it out after it gets to chilly to ride and hunting season starts up thanks for your help guys

It gets too chilly to ride in Arizona? I thought old people moved there because it has mild winters? :thumbsup:

• Beejay

Posted August 07, 2009 - 01:48 PM

I wouldn't worry about it. They are known for running for ever.

If the bike starts easily then you're good.

As above:thumbsup:

• timoyz1

Posted August 08, 2009 - 05:21 PM

I split the cases at 4000 miles because of a bent shifting fork. I checked everything, and replaced the rings, and valve seals, just because I felt like I should. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!:thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.