Has anybody reversed their rear tire?

12 replies to this topic
  • fastmonstr

Posted March 30, 2003 - 04:09 AM

I was thinking about doing for and upcoming dual sport ride.The tire is not that bad and still has semi-sharp edges on one side.

• WR250fla

Posted March 30, 2003 - 04:35 AM

I flip all my rear tires around to get a few more miles out of them.

• FTD

Posted March 30, 2003 - 06:14 AM

My buddies do it all the time and don't seem to have trouble. I (piss my wife off) and buy new ones half way through. :)

• Burnrider

Posted March 30, 2003 - 07:25 AM

Flip it. The arrows on tires work when the tire is new. After the knobs round off it will work better reversed.

• KiwiThumper

Posted March 30, 2003 - 09:49 AM

If in doubt, throw it out :)

• RedBaron

Posted March 30, 2003 - 10:51 AM

Actually, i go the extra mile and flip it twice... it doesn't seem to make much of a difference. :)

Have a good trip to Big Bend!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • fastmonstr

Posted March 30, 2003 - 10:58 AM

RedBaron, welcome to ThumperTalk!!! If there is a chance you can meet us in BigBend on April 10th, as usual, I have a street legal XR400 you can ride.

• danno426

Posted March 30, 2003 - 11:22 AM

Yeah I have done it, it was no big deal it really didnt seem to work all that well. It certainly is no new tire, so you just have to decide if it worth the work.

• HareAndHound98

Posted March 30, 2003 - 07:52 PM

For all the work involved it does not seem to be worth it to flip em. Just my 2 cents

• battlecry

Posted March 31, 2003 - 03:36 AM

Has anybody cut the knobs square using a hot knife? Can this be done faster that switching tires?

• Burnrider

Posted March 31, 2003 - 06:20 PM

I've got a hot knife too. I will only flip it if I have a reason, like a flat. Generally I toss it after 15 rides or about 750 miles. I think the hot knife is worth it for a soft to medium hard rubber. If its a hard rubber like a cheng sheng you have to fight it, even it its a new blade. Works good on the IRC VE33 I run. Lately the tire sales around here make it easy to replace the tire without a flip or a cut.

• Indy_WR450

Posted March 31, 2003 - 06:39 PM

Red Baron must have Popeye sized arms to Love to flip tires twice! Do not arm wrestle with a guy who goes to those lengths to save money. You will loose. :)

• Jim_Bob

Posted March 31, 2003 - 07:26 PM

Angle grinder with a cutting blade also works.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.