floating front disc. excessive play

3 replies to this topic
  • stealman

Posted August 04, 2009 - 06:22 AM

The front brake disc on my bike has a lot of play where it floats. I can move it forward and backward a lot. I have another front wheel with a disc on it that is nearly new so I know what a good one should feel like. My question is. Is there a way too tighten it up? Has anyone else warn one out where it floats? I figured that the braking surface would wear out but not the floating connection.

• grayracer513

Posted August 04, 2009 - 06:54 AM

Some earlier rotors seemed looser than you'd think they should be when they were cold. Try checking it after it's been ridden for a while (wear gloves! ). If it seems tight then, it's probably at least serviceable. As long as the rotor is not at risk of falling off, the looseness does no harm.

I don't know of a certain way to uniformly tighten the "rivets" that anchor the rotor, unfortunately. Someone may have some experience with that.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • stealman

Posted August 04, 2009 - 07:17 AM

Thanks for the reply. I believe that the looseness is probably of no harm, but sometimes when braking it makes the front end feel loose. Its kind of annoying. The wheel is a 06 so its not that old.

On another note. Can you or anyone else tell me what years of front wheels are interchangeable with a 06? When searching ebay, I'm getting some conflicting info.

• grayracer513

Posted August 04, 2009 - 08:09 AM

From the Common Threads Sticky:

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.