backfiring

6 replies to this topic
  • e-z_e

Posted September 23, 2002 - 01:46 PM

my '02 (essentially stock) wr 426 backfires when i use the engine compression to slow down. am i too rich, too lean, something else?

i'm currently running a 168 main, 40 pilot, clip in position #3 (7,000' altitude). i haven't adjusted the air screw from its stock position.

the backfiring occurs more when the engine isn't completely hot but never really goes away.

any thoughts?

• ratbiker

Posted September 23, 2002 - 02:50 PM

my 02 did the same thing until i leaned it out curently i am runnung 155 main,needle on #3 i may try position #2 later.I also have b-k mod and kouba t i fiddle with ocasionally to get motor to run at peak per altitude.been riding at 1500-3500 feet lately this will drop for the winter months to sea level.hope this helps :)

• racemile

Posted September 25, 2002 - 06:53 AM

eze,

take a look at my jetting and see what you think.

Race

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Wicked_Crash

Posted September 25, 2002 - 07:22 AM

The ACV (air cut valve) mod should help the backfiring problem. It only takes a few minutes to do and if you want you can "undo" the mod. Here is the post on how to do it. Just reverse the diaphragm.

Also it looks like you are probably too rich. My jetting setup is in my signiture. Hope this helps.

• Wicked_Crash

Posted September 25, 2002 - 07:23 AM

ACV mod post

http://www.thumperta...ic;f=3;t=008404

• AZWR426

Posted September 25, 2002 - 09:01 PM

I am thinking about a Canadian wr450. I know they don't have a throttle stop or grey wire. But,looking at the carb stuff I think there may be more differences. Do the Canadians have an air cut valve? Thanks, Mark

• Wicked_Crash

Posted September 26, 2002 - 05:18 AM

I think the Canadian WR426 has the ACV, I'm not sure if the 03 WR450 will though. My guess is it probably will.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.