New WR450F

12 replies to this topic
  • Yamaha_James

Posted August 03, 2009 - 10:47 AM

Hi I'm looking at getting a new WR450F, from a dealer, either this season or next. If I get it this season it will be really soon, and as its closing in I just have some specific questions and I would appreciate if people would be willing to help. I've done some reading and I have learned that the throttle stop on the WRs should be changed to a shotter one, similar to the YZs. I was thinking of doing this with the GYTR WR AIS Removal Kit (GYT-5TJ93-69-01).

I've read some controversial informating on jetting the bike and soo on, I live on Prince Edward Island, Canada. It is quite humide here, if I changed the throttle stop would I have to re-jet the bike? If I change the throttle stop is there any other mods I should do so that the bike runs smoother when more throttle is used. If I remove the gray wire will the bike over-rev? Is it best to mod the pipe and how do I do so?

Basically I want to be able to use the bike's power without limitation, however I do not necessarily need to be able to go all out with YZ 450's for the riding I do. I do like to open her up sometimes though.

Thanks for your help in advance, and sorry for being naive. I'm currently running a TT-R 230 and thats just not enough for me. :thumbsup:

• rkwfxd1

Posted August 03, 2009 - 05:11 PM

I went from XR250 to 09 WR450. I rode it stock once just to say I did. Power was just OK and then bike ran hot. I heard the radiator boiling and saw coolant rise in the tank.

Took it home and install the throttle stop and all the jets that come in the AIS removal kit. I left the AIS on because I live in California and some places check for that.

I did the gray wire mod.

Also I did not remove the pea shooter. Instead I shimmed the four allen head screws that hold the exhaust tip in the canister with washers creating more flow but maintaining a stock appearance. (Remember I live in California)

Bike runs perfect for me. Lots of power every where. Smooth and quiet. No overheating at all. Coolant level does not change in 90+ degree slow riding.

I love this bike.

• Yamaha_James

Posted August 04, 2009 - 02:16 AM

Thanks for the info! A lot of people seem to like this bike, and from what I see/hear of it I don't blame them! I'm very excited to get one, it just seems I will have to tweak it a little bit. Where I live it seldomly gets up to 30 degrees celsius (around 86 farenheit) and is usually around 18-25 celsius (64-77). The elevation around here is pretty low, the highest point in my area is around 450ft above sea level.

Should I still re-jet the bike?

Also does the speedometer have a km/h setting? :thumbsup:

• rkwfxd1

Posted August 04, 2009 - 04:33 AM

Yes

Yes

I ride from 0 to 4,000 feet. Have only ridden with the new AIS removal kit jetting in the 2000 - 3500 ft range and it was just fine. I was concerned that it might be a bit rich but it seemed right on for me.

The AIS removal kit is cheap and comes with a bunch of stuff and was designed by the same guys that designed the bike. I say buy it, install it and run it. Later you can fine tune it if you feel the need.

Good luck.

• Yamaha_James

Posted August 04, 2009 - 04:49 AM

Thanks again!:thumbsup: I am very excited to get this bike, its just a matter of when now. I feel this bike will be better suited for the riding I do, I'm not extreme however I find my TT-R doesn't always have the kick I need, also some lights would be handy!

• tribalbc

Posted August 04, 2009 - 06:28 AM

You should rejet. When you get the AIS kit you can use the jets from there except the main and pilot, they will be too rich. You will probably end up needing a 45-48 pilot and around a 168 main.
Extra jets are cheap from your Yammi dealer :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Yamaha_James

Posted August 04, 2009 - 07:17 AM

You should rejet. When you get the AIS kit you can use the jets from there except the main and pilot, they will be too rich. You will probably end up needing a 45-48 pilot and around a 168 main.
Extra jets are cheap from your Yammi dealer :thumbsup:

Roughly how much?:worthy:

• tribalbc

Posted August 04, 2009 - 07:30 AM

Roughly how much?:thumbsup:

Somewhere around $5-$10 a pop.

• Yamaha_James

Posted August 04, 2009 - 07:40 AM

That would fall into my price range!, and made by yamaha you said?

• WR_Dave

Posted August 04, 2009 - 07:46 AM

You can get the jets at any dirtbike shop. They are jets for a Keihin FCR 39 mm carb. Yamaha nor any of the dealers make the carbs, they are either Keihin or Mikuni, yours is a Keihin. WR Dave

• Yamaha_James

Posted August 04, 2009 - 07:53 AM

Right forgot about that, thanks!

• CanadianWR450

Posted August 04, 2009 - 10:18 AM

Read up on the "Free Mods" in the sticky's at the top of this forum, and then hang on.

I have a 04 WR450, and my wife has a TT-R 230 as you do now.

Your in for one SERIOUS increase in power, REMEMBER that on your first ride through trails your used to on the TT-R! You will LOVE it....lol

• Yamaha_James

Posted August 04, 2009 - 06:31 PM

Read up on the "Free Mods" in the sticky's at the top of this forum, and then hang on.

I have a 04 WR450, and my wife has a TT-R 230 as you do now.

Your in for one SERIOUS increase in power, REMEMBER that on your first ride through trails your used to on the TT-R! You will LOVE it....lol

I did read up on the free mods and I plan on doing so(I'm a little iffy on the exhaust mods, as i need the bike to be a little barable noise wise, for my neighbours won't be happy other wise;))

I am expecting the serious power increase, I want to be able to climb hills in the pits with out having to worry about the bike copping out(only happened once) and when i hit the throttle I want that HANG ON sensation :worthy:

It might just be me, but I find the TT-R is a blast and I'm always on it, but I just don't find it has the power I want/need. I would rather have a bunch of power and not alway use it all, then a limited power supply and be constantly using every bit of it.

Thanks again for all you help every one!:thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.