WR 450 HEADACHES

43 replies to this topic
  • efm1990

Posted March 29, 2003 - 04:31 AM

POSSIBLY THIS IS THE WORST BIKE EFM HAS EVER OWNED. BESIDES THE FLYWHEEL THING.

1 SHIFTER STICKS DOWN AFTER WARM

2 BATTERY GOES DEAD AFTER 5 SECONDS OF CRANKING, DESPITE BEING ON A BATTERY TENDER, AND I GUESS YAMAHA HAS A NEW BATTERY FROM A DIFFERENT MANUFACTOR TO REPLACE THEM WITH

3 WHEN IT DOES TRY TO START, EVEN KICKING, IT SOUNDS LIKE THE GEARS IN THE STARTER ARE GRINDING AWAY WHEN IT BACKFIRES

4 VIBRATES LIKE ALL GET OUT

5 WONT START WHEN WARM UNLESS YOU LET IT SET FOR 10 MINUTES, THEN KICK YOUR LEG OFF, DONT MATTER WHEATHER YOU HAVE THE HOT START IN OR OUT

6 ERATIC IDLE,

DOES ANYBODY ELSE HAVE ANY OF THESE PROBLEMS? WE HAVE SPENT MORE TIME ON THIS BIKE THAN DESIGNING CLUTCHES

HELP

• r1superstar

Posted March 29, 2003 - 04:45 AM

Wow! More reasons to love my 02' WR. The only thing I hate about my 02' WR426 is that I'm having a hard time finding a good back tire for it. :) :D

• endurodog

Posted March 29, 2003 - 04:50 AM

Wow there have been problems with this bike, woodruff key, but I havn't heard of anyone else having some of the problems your speaking of. Some of them sound like they could be jetting related????

• gloft

Posted March 29, 2003 - 05:41 AM

On the battery issue, I was told by Yamaha that a standard 12V charger will NOT charge this type of battery fully. They recommend buying one of their $60.00 units. I'd say jetting on the starting as well.

• Jonesy920

Posted March 29, 2003 - 05:41 AM

Efm

Have you done any mods ? In stock form the bike is rough, after "unplugging it" I have no complaints. Mine starts first flick of starter when warm w/hotstart. Check out the mods everyone has done. Rejet, take out baffle and snorkel. Then bitch about the woodruff key when you get back from riding the best bike you have owned :)

• ThumperWR450F

Posted March 29, 2003 - 11:47 AM

lets answer your questions

1. no
2. no
3. no
4. a little
5. no
6. no

• Indy_WR450

Posted March 29, 2003 - 03:30 PM

EFM1990,
There are a lot of very happy WR450 owners on this site. Some mods are absolutely necessary. My bike never ran on stock jetting, muffler plug, throttle stop and grey wire. I have 650+ miles without a problem. In fact this bike is incredible! Yes it is hard starting below 40 degrees but my battery lasts way longer than 5 seconds when I am trying to start it when it is 35 degrees out. It is usually lean at cold temperatures and opening the throttle several times between short stabs at the electric start works after several attempts. I ran 68 miles today and it was below 40 degrees all day. I am sorry you may have an abused bike or a lemon. The majority on this forum are very happy with their WR450s. :)

• wr250rr

Posted March 29, 2003 - 04:24 PM

EFM , your right , its the worst bike ever. Nothing but problems.
Wanna sell it?

• ddialogue

Posted March 29, 2003 - 05:20 PM

I'm with Indy_WR450 on this one. I have 507 miles on my WR450 (after today's 50-miler) and I have yet to have a problem with this bike (knock on wood!) I completely rejetted the bike before starting it for the first time. All mods have been completed as well. With the exception of your battery and shifting issues, it sounds like jetting is what needs to be worked on. Regarding vibration: it's not any worse than my 02 WR426 was and both of these bikes are smooth as glass compared to my KX500. :)

• xr600r

Posted March 29, 2003 - 05:41 PM

does the grey wire mod really help the 450 ?
thats one thing i havent done yet.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TEAMBMF

Posted March 29, 2003 - 06:48 PM

Sell it and do not buy another motorcycle . It sounds like you have no experience at all . Having read your claims I suggest you never operate a motorcycle of any brand again . You will never be satisfied with any bike .

• Superbike

Posted March 29, 2003 - 06:49 PM

Hold off. It is done on mine. Ride it and see if you notice a difference. Back to back comparison would tell the best. ---Mike

• KiwiThumper

Posted March 29, 2003 - 10:41 PM

I havent even changed jetting, mine starts first time every time. No gear problems, is as quiet as, no vibrations and roosts like v8 in a VW.

• efm1990

Posted March 30, 2003 - 01:53 AM

WOW, thanks for all the input, some of you are very abusive for someone who is just trying to get the bike working. We have the air box opened up, the plug is still in the exhaust, since we dual sport the bike to advertise the NO-STALL auto clutch on it, we havent cut any wires, we did find the front part of the slide was in upside down, even the dealer didnt know that one, we have had it back 2 times to the dealer. 65 pilot is the only way it will somewhat idle, stock main. We are in ohio so it is still kinda cold here, but when Florida for the GNCC races, it barley ran. In fact, most who took it for a ride, if it stalled, ended up pushing it back since the battery would go dead trying to start it.

PLease, if anyone has any suggestions to try, i would be glad to try them.

• efm1990

Posted March 30, 2003 - 02:00 AM

$6000.00 its yours, with a street title. and the auto clutch, So if your not all talk, step up to the plate and buy it. 150 miles on it, s 12's front an back, bark busters, horn, brake lite, tail like mirror, i can ship it monday. Has a street title 330 947 1700

garry

• efm1990

Posted March 30, 2003 - 02:10 AM

WR250RR, Yes, we will sell it, 6000.00, it has 150 miles on it, has the NO-STALL AUTO CLUTCH on it, S'12'S on front an back, horn, mirror, brake lite, and a street title. I can ship monday the 31 st. . Call me, im even working sunday here, 330 947 1700.

balls in your court.

• Indy_WR450

Posted March 30, 2003 - 02:25 AM

Dont buy a bike from an abusive owner or a lemon owner. Even with low mileage this has repair bills potential to take it to the price of a new bike from the showroom. I fear the gearbox will need parts based on his comments. These bikes need a gentle break in for the first 200 miles. I beleive Yamaha has a 3 year 3.9% going on all dirt bikes now. :)

• WR250fla

Posted March 30, 2003 - 02:35 AM

No stall auto clutch? No thanks.

• ddialogue

Posted March 30, 2003 - 06:49 AM

No stall auto clutch? No thanks.

You don't know what you're missing... :)

• ddialogue

Posted March 30, 2003 - 06:51 AM

The dealer did the grey wire mod for me before I picked it up so I can't really say how it would have run without the mod. I do know that I love the way this bike runs and will not be reconnecting it anytime soon...

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.