Electrosport 150W stator

I never said that you said your stator could run and HID at idle...I said that it could NOT and that is a BIG turn off especially when there are two other stators on the market that can.

Also when you speak of the trade off, I dont see that trade off with the Trail Tech....especially as it powers one HID at idle and TWO at anything above idle....so what trade off is there again

[/Quote]

The TrailTech stator is 100W maximum output. That tradeoff is in place due to our part being capable of about 137W maximum output. This gives you even more power output at higher RPMS (120W of which is available by 4000RPMs) to allow you to run other electrical accessories (GPS, heated grips, etc). If the absolute most critical feature is to be charging the battery at idle, then I can't argue that our stator is the best choice. We designed this part to be more powerful in RPM ranges you see during use, where the bike spends the majority of its time while being ridden, and in this range you have more power available.

Also keep in mind, we seem to be overlooking the fact that you CAN run your headlights at idle for quite awhile. With a 5AH standard battery fully charged from riding, you could run your lights for 20 minutes at idle and not kill your battery. I figured that by:

5AH = 5amps per hour before being dead.

(2) 35W HIDs = 70W load

70W = 5.4Amps draw @ 13VDC (higher than would still start the bike)

So the battery would be dead in slightly under one hour discharging 5.4A consistently to run both lights.

Lets cut that in half to be safe, so we have slightly less than 30 minutes before having a dead battery, which is why I'm going with 20 minutes.

Most riders will not be idling anywhere near 20 minutes long in real situations.

You merely have to crack the throttle 1/8 of a turn to get into charging range with our part. In this case, the higher overall power output of the part is more beneficial to majority of riders.

Im picking power based on the fact that I dont want a dead battery...I run TWO HID's and when come to a stop I want to be able to run one along with my dual sport kit, GPS and electric start...if the stator can't keep up then I am stuck with a dead battery....that is NO good

[/Quote]

As I explained above, you can run your accessories and lights for a completely reasonable amount of time at idle and not end up with a dead battery. Obviously if you leave them all on for a long time (more than roughly 20 minutes as I demonstrated above) you could end up with a dead battery. Trust me, I don't want ANY of our customers getting stuck with a dead battery. But our system is designed to produce more power while riding rather than focus on power at idle. If that is your primary concern, to be able to idle for long periods of time and keep your battery charged, then our system is not ideal for you. All of this discussion is assuming a battery in good shape as well.

You are correct about AC voltage not being a great way to measure power but is a good way to simple compare...I was simply comparing AC numbers accross the board...I just dont see how you can claim such a high DC reading when your raw AC power is so low...again I would be more than happy to test your setup and see what it really is putting out

[/Quote]

I believe you still missed point on this issue, the AC Voltage measured out of the stator really is NOT a good comparison to get an idea of power output. You can compare parts this way, but you are not making a comparison of any parameters affecting real world use of the part!

The higher DC voltage measurements are due to the stator being able to source more current (and therefore more power) than the other parts at that RPM, and therefore keep the voltage higher (where 14.6 is the maximum output of the regulator so as not to overcharge the battery).

I would be very happy to sell you an ESK770 kit for your WR450, but unfortunately we do not need any more testers for this kit.

It has been fully tested in house and on local bikes, both track and trail riding.

Evan

The TrailTech stator is 100W maximum output. That tradeoff is in place due to our part being capable of about 137W maximum output. This gives you even more power output at higher RPMS (120W of which is available by 4000RPMs) to allow you to run other electrical accessories (GPS, heated grips, etc). If the absolute most critical feature is to be charging the battery at idle, then I can't argue that our stator is the best choice. We designed this part to be more powerful in RPM ranges you see during use, where the bike spends the majority of its time while being ridden, and in this range you have more power available.

Until someone OTHER then the you/ElectroSports can provide real data, I don't believe your stator is capable of 14.6 volts...especially with a large load such as 2 HID's, a helmet light and other misc accessories :busted:

If your unwilling to offer up a test until for the customers, that just goes to show what kinda of Company ElectroSports is...and your claims are simple just that...claims

TrailTech/Baja Designs/Ricky Stator all pitched in with no questions asked...IMHO that is a class act and well re-guarded in our sport ?

FYI I updated the data table to help aid in visually seeing the claims of ElectroSports stator output compared to the rest...

StatorData.jpg

I would be very happy to sell you an ESK770 kit for your WR450, but unfortunately we do not need any more testers for this kit.

It has been fully tested in house and on local bikes, both track and trail riding.

Evan

i think bigcoop is right. when i started looking at the different options for my wr i had a hard time understanding and believing the claims of the supplier. bigcoop did a great job at bring the very basic facts to us that we could understand. i think it would be a great idea to see this stator option tested out by a fellow rider and just by someone trying to make a buck

oh and as a fellow hid'er i would rather have my power down low that up in the rpm's

I have the new Electrosport stator and regulator rectifier installed on my 2003 WR450. The product is excellent and their customer service has been second to none. I am sorry that some of you are having trouble sorting out the details of which stator is best based on the numbers. In my opinion, you need to determine which one will work best for you based on how you ride. If you want your bike to be a high powered flashlight while it sits at idle in your garage, maybe the Electrosport stator is not for you. However, if you get out there and ride your bikes, you will better understand the logic behind why Electrosport places the maximum output in the slightly higher RPM range.

I do not claim to be an expert on the statistics of all the various stators on the market. I just know that I have really enjoyed my Electrosport stator and do not want to see an excellent product get hammered on this forum by people who have not tried them. If you want to get the real data on how the Electrosport stator performs, buy one and see for yourself. Then you will be able to make a fair assessment of the product.

Until someone OTHER then the you/ElectroSports can provide real data, I don't believe your stator is capable of 14.6 volts...especially with a large load such as 2 HID's, a helmet light and other misc accessories :busted:

If your unwilling to offer up a test until for the customers, that just goes to show what kinda of Company ElectroSports is...and your claims are simple just that...claims

TrailTech/Baja Designs/Ricky Stator all pitched in with no questions asked...IMHO that is a class act and well re-guarded in our sport :banana:

FYI I updated the data table to help aid in visually seeing the claims of ElectroSports stator output compared to the rest...

StatorData.jpg

Let me clarify again.

These are very close to actual real-world numbers.

All of this testing was done on my test bench, with an OEM WR450 flywheel, our ESK770 stator and regulator/rectifier.

They are done driving 2 of our 35W HID's, with a Yuasa battery from a WR450.

This is very close to exact numbers running on a bike.

All of the idle readings are very accurate.

The 14.6V at 1/4 throttle+ will probably drop slightly (still over 14VDC) due to the load of the CDI.

Turbo1 that just posted above is a local customer that has loaned us many of his bikes for R&D use, and owns the WR450 that we developed our kit on.

I personally did the install on his bike, and while in the testing phase, rode his WR450 with a Digital Multimeter strapped to the handlebars and connected to the battery terminals to monitor for acceptable voltage at all riding RPM ranges. This was running a single 35W halogen headlight, and I saw idle voltages at least 12VDC with the headlight on, and maxed out the regulator (mid 14V) anywhere over 1/4 throttle while riding with the headlight on.

That being said, I would be happy to send out one of our WR450 kits to one of you in the WR forum to validate its performance. PM me if you are interested.

Evan

In my opinion, you need to determine which one will work best for you based on how you ride. If you want your bike to be a high powered flashlight while it sits at idle in your garage, maybe the Electrosport stator is not for you.

Exactly, you need to determine what best suits your needs. Personally, if my stator could not put a positive charge on the battery at idle while running one hid, it's the wrong stator for my needs. It has nothing to do with being a "high powered flashlight". I just want the confidence knowing that if I drain the battery too far down, in the worst case scenario, low rpm at night, I can eventually get it back up. That's all. I don't need to run a pair of hids so the excess power at 1/4 throttle is not essential for me, but would likely mean the world to someone else.

I'm not here to bash, I think it's great that Electrosport has come out with this stator, more options are good for all of us. I have a couple of questions though as I'm not an electrical wizard. Why is it that the Trailtech has both the highest raw voltage at idle and 1/4 throttle (by a very wide margin), but when converted to dc, it still has more at idle, but loses it's advantage at 1/4 throttle? I think Coop ran a BD reg/rec on the stock and R.S. stator and a Trailtech reg/rec on the Trailtech stator. Granted, both the BD and Trailtech reg/recs are virtually identical, but why would there be such a difference?

Evan, how much is the Electrosport stator?

• 5 years later...

Funny... I haven't been on the Forum in Years... and then while looking for a good Stator for my trusty WR450... I find this thread. LOL.

Hopefully the Electrosport I just ordered will keep up with my needs...

One of those needs being... I just installed a LiFePo4... that needs over 14.1V to charge propperly.

Funny... I haven't been on the Forum in Years... and then while looking for a good Stator for my trusty WR450... I find this thread. LOL.

Hopefully the Electrosport I just ordered will keep up with my needs...

One of those needs being... I just installed a LiFePo4... that needs over 14.1V to charge propperly.

Interesting thread you resurrected here.  I went for the Ricky Stator system and have a season of riding with it with no problems.  Any one of the systems tested would be a vast improvement over stock.  Mine drives a 60 W headlight, 8 W tail and heated grips and keeps the lead acid battery charged.  I just got a little volt meter that I will wire into the system so I can keep an eye on things and know immediately if something were to go wrong.    

volts.JPG

$8 shipped on ebay.  

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...