Scott steering stabalizer

6 replies to this topic
  • Fozzo717

Posted July 31, 2009 - 01:48 PM

I bought an 02 YZ 426 that came with a Scott stabalizer. How do the knobs work on this? I have tried turning them diferent combos but I don't notice any real change. It is probably my skill level but I would still like to know how they are supposed to work? Thanks in advance.

• grayracer513

Posted July 31, 2009 - 02:05 PM

The knob on the left is the low speed damping rate control. Turning this all the way out will give the minimum damping effect, turning it all the way in (clockwise) will give the maximum. You should be able to tell some difference.

The right knob is not a knob, but a cover over the high speed blow-off screw. See the Scotts manual regarding how to set that. There are also two screws on the sides of the unit that adjust the amount of sweep from center that is controlled by the damper.

One thing I always tell new Scotts damper users who say they can't feel it work is to ride it for 3 weeks or so, and then take the damper off and ride it again. You will put it back on immediately.

Click for Manual

Click for Service Instructions

Scotts Dampers

• Wiz636

Posted July 31, 2009 - 02:55 PM

The knob on the left is the low speed damping rate control. Turning this all the way out will give the minimum damping effect, turning it all the way in (clockwise) will give the maximum. You should be able to tell some difference.

The right knob is not a knob, but a cover over the high speed blow-off screw. See the Scotts manual regarding how to set that. There are also two screws on the sides of the unit that adjust the amount of sweep from center that is controlled by the damper

When the damper is sub-mounted it is reversed so that the low speed control knob is on the right.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted July 31, 2009 - 03:16 PM

When the damper is sub-mounted it is reversed so that the low speed control knob is on the right.

Quite true.

• Drfletcherdc

Posted July 31, 2009 - 05:55 PM

One thing I always tell new Scotts damper users who say they can't feel it work is to ride it for 3 weeks or so, and then take the damper off and ride it again. You will put it back on immediately.

That is so true. I was riding in a wash to get ready for a sand race and was questioning my Scotts stabilizer if it was actually doing anything. A very short time later, my front end started going all crazy in the sand like the it was out of control. It turns out that the pin from the mounting bracket had fallen out.

You definitely notice it when its not there.

• ben_suhard

Posted July 31, 2009 - 08:57 PM

If you haven't already tried, you can have a play around with the adjusters while the bike is on a stand, just as a demo on what effect the adjustments have. It's just easier to feel the difference when turning the bars with the front wheel off the ground.

• buzzgrizz

Posted August 02, 2009 - 05:14 PM

I just got one and installed it today and I can already tell a big difference. Should have done it years ago!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.