Cleaning oil strainer in frame

10 replies to this topic
  • foursmoke

Posted March 28, 2003 - 03:34 PM

I am doing my 1st oil change on my WR450 and I have removed the oil strainer on frame. What should I use to clean it, gas, kerosene,ect... :)

• Indy_WR450

Posted March 28, 2003 - 05:30 PM

I use air to blow out anything. Kerosene will work for a wash.

• foursmoke

Posted March 28, 2003 - 07:21 PM

Thanx Indy, Did that earlier. Getting bike ready for tomorrow, its going to be 75 and sunny. :)

• lipskid

Posted March 28, 2003 - 07:31 PM

Careful putting that strainer back in! I read some where else in here a couple people have stripped the threads. The manual calls for 65 ft/lbs. Seems a bit high to me.

• foursmoke

Posted March 29, 2003 - 04:17 AM

It does seem pretty tight to me also. When installing it I kept checking torque setting to make sure I wasn't over tightening it.I was getting very nervous. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Motorod

Posted March 31, 2003 - 05:48 AM

Did you find any thing in the strainer. My 426 never had anything, and I'v not checked my 450 yet.

• foursmoke

Posted March 31, 2003 - 12:05 PM

Just a few small particles but only rode once for 30 miles. I will change again after 30-50 miles.

• KiwiThumper

Posted March 31, 2003 - 01:15 PM

Hey Motorod,

In your pictures (Bare 2)

all your junction blocks are neatly in a row. Does yours come with a mount to do this standard?
Looks very clean and tidy !!!

My 450 is a dogs breakfast under the headlight .....

• foursmoke

Posted March 31, 2003 - 05:44 PM

Hey Motorod, nice dog. I have 2 boxers myself. Bike looks great too! :)

• Motorod

Posted April 01, 2003 - 03:50 AM

That is what it looked like when I took the light off. I had not modified anything at that time. :)

• Motorod

Posted April 01, 2003 - 07:55 AM

That dog thinks we go to the races so poeple will pet her. :) She usually sleeps the whole way back and then through the night, after we get home, because she wore out from the pettings she gets. Every time I get the trailer out to load up, she lines up at the truck, so she won't get left out of the trip. :D

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.