D756 vs. Geomax

20 replies to this topic
  • i_wheelie_longer

Posted July 30, 2009 - 02:29 AM

Sorry for all the tire threads, I can just get really really good deals on Dunlops and I want to know which tire out of the D756 and the Geomax would you prefer for intermediate pack motocross track riding? What is the wear between the two, and how is the traction? Thanks again

• ben_suhard

Posted July 30, 2009 - 04:20 AM

Considering that the GeoMax MX51 is s'posed to be replacing the 756, you might aswell get used to the GeoMax! I'd say that they probably have the same wear rate. I like the look of the tread pattern on the MX51 more because it's more consistent, rather than different patterns all over the place like on the 756. I think that if the tread pattern is more consistent, you'll know how much side grip to expect every time you lean the bike over in a corner. I think it's good that they've decided to get away from the crazy tread pattern of the 756 and the other crazy patterns.

http://www.dunlopmot...tire.asp?id=105

http://www.motocross...F9CAC18CE08AF46

• grayracer513

Posted July 30, 2009 - 06:28 AM

Looking at a tire won't really tell you much, but here's the feedback from a user:

http://www.thumperta...778#post8171778

If you look for the same poster earlier, you'll note he makes the point that the tire also wears extremely well, something that certainly can't be said about the 756.

Dunlop has been making a successful effort to widen the range of soil types in which their tires work well. Rather than having an intermediate tire, a soft terrain tire, and a hard terrain tire, forcing you to decide where you want to fall down due to traction problems, they have realized that the soils in any venue may vary greatly, and done something about it. The MX51 is a tire that is designed to work from soft intermediate through fairly hard soils, and while it isn't the best on super hard pack or mud/sand, it certainly doesn't suck, either.

• ben_suhard

Posted July 30, 2009 - 06:36 AM

Looking at a tire won't really tell you much...

I think it does tell you a lot about a tyre. I check out the tread pattern before I try a different tyre.

• kain522

Posted July 30, 2009 - 07:59 AM

I also have the Geomax on my tires to try list, but right now there are some smokin' deals on the 756. I was able to get new rears for both my bikes for just over $100. While it may not be the latest and greatest tire, the 756 is still very capable of doing everything I need it to do.

• grayracer513

Posted July 30, 2009 - 08:37 AM

I think it does tell you a lot about a tyre. I check out the tread pattern before I try a different tyre.

It will tell you something about what sort of soils the tire was intended for, i.e. soft vs. hard, but not much about how well it will actually work.

Take as an example, the D755 vs. the D742FA. The highly touted FA works really well, but only in a very narrow range of loose, sandy/loamy intermediate soils. On any surface outside that, it performs dismally. The almost unknown 755, OTOH, is supposed to be a soft terrain tire, and looks like one, but works better on hard pack than the FA does on harder intermediate soils, and far better in the soft stuff.

The MX 31 front is intended as a soft/intermediate tire, and works better than either of the two above, even in harder soils.

• MXR176

Posted July 30, 2009 - 11:08 AM

Geomax's wear way better then the 756's. They also hook up on a way bigger variety of terrain also. I have them on both my bikes front and rear. Front tire hooks up on everything and the back is really close to the same. Once they loose there edge they still hook up way good on any dirt to. I dfeinately give these tires to thumbs up....

• i_wheelie_longer

Posted July 30, 2009 - 01:20 PM

thank you for the quick responses and helpful advice! I am pretty set on the Geomax's now, but I still have the consideration of the michelin starcross mh3's in the back of my mind. sorry for being a PITA, but how do the Geomax's compare to the starcross?

• saccityfire

Posted July 30, 2009 - 02:48 PM

I've just ordered a set of Geo's for the 09' YZ450, a 51 rear and 31 front mostly for track riding and will update when I have a ride on them. 31 front was because they didn't have the 51 front in stock.

I'm excited to get off of the stock 742 front and have ripped side knobs right off of the 756 rear.

• ben_suhard

Posted July 30, 2009 - 06:50 PM

It will tell you something about what sort of soils the tire was intended for, i.e. soft vs. hard, but not much about how well it will actually work.

Take as an example, the D755 vs. the D742FA. The highly touted FA works really well, but only in a very narrow range of loose, sandy/loamy intermediate soils. On any surface outside that, it performs dismally. The almost unknown 755, OTOH, is supposed to be a soft terrain tire, and looks like one, but works better on hard pack than the FA does on harder intermediate soils, and far better in the soft stuff.

The MX 31 front is intended as a soft/intermediate tire, and works better than either of the two above, even in harder soils.

Yeah, I've read all about that too. Different carcasses, sidewalls and rubber compounds influence a tyre's performance. I was just saying that looking at MX51 and the D756, I think the MX51 has a better tread pattern, and is the one I'd go for. Assuming that all other specs are similar, I'd choose the MX51. It's possible that some may prefer the D756. As far as wear goes, I was just assuming that because the MX51 is replacing the D756, it'd wear at about the same rate.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Troutman

Posted July 31, 2009 - 04:46 AM

I have been running the MX51's for a few months now. They work great and wear slightly better than the 756. However, I have already torn a rear nob off on the MX51 and belive it or not I never did that to a 756. I would buy all the $50 756's up till you have to switch to the $70 MX51's :thumbsup:

• MXR176

Posted July 31, 2009 - 05:56 AM

By the way! The MX51 is a copy of Pirelli's MXMH, that I ran for the last 2 years. I'll post a pic later of how pretty much Dunlop did a bid copy. Not saying they did but the tires could pass for twins.

http://www.motorcycl...ear_Tire_--.jpg

• saccityfire

Posted July 31, 2009 - 06:14 AM

By the way! The MX51 is a copy of Pirelli's MXMH, that I ran for the last 2 years. I'll post a pic later of how pretty much Dunlop did a bid copy. Not saying they did but the tires could pass for twins.

While very close to the pirelli, the Dunlop is different. There are more knobs on the outer tread pattern, the inner edge of the outer knobs is angled as is the outer edge of the second knob row. The carcass is also reinforced on the 51 and is not on the MXMH. Just noticed the differences because of your posted picture links. :thumbsup:

• MXR176

Posted July 31, 2009 - 12:34 PM

You need to see them sitting here side by side. You would crap your pants, those pics don't do ino justice really how much there alike. The MX51 is hands down a way better front and the back on the Pirelli and the Dunlop are equal.

• ben_suhard

Posted July 31, 2009 - 05:29 PM

They do look very similar, but saccityfire is right though; the actual knob pattern/relationship changes between the outer two rows of knobs on the MX51, because the very outside knobs are closer together, whereas the Pirelli stays uniform all the way around.

• saccityfire

Posted July 31, 2009 - 07:44 PM

You need to see them sitting here side by side. You would crap your pants, those pics don't do ino justice really how much there alike. The MX51 is hands down a way better front and the back on the Pirelli and the Dunlop are equal.

I'm looking at them side by side cause mine just got here today :thumbsup:

I'm not knockin' ya. They are very similar but not twins or a copy. The rubber feels completely different in addition to the slight design differences. Plus my 756 has 3 knobs torn off and a half dozen that are ready to go that are clearly still intact on the brand new MX51.They look way different used vs. new :ride:

MX51 and 31 look badass to me and I'm gonna mount em tomorrow and ride em Sunday morning @ Mammoth Bar OHV MX track. I will report back Sunday night or Monday morning. Of course the report will be 51 vs. 756 rear and 31 vs. 742 front on a track with a mix of mud, hard pack, super tacky rutted corners, loose rocks and powder/silt. :worthy:

• grayracer513

Posted July 31, 2009 - 07:48 PM

31 vs. 742 front on a track with a mix of mud, hard pack, super tacky rutted corners, loose rocks and powder/silt. :thumbsup:

Tha's not even going to be close

• Beaz

Posted August 01, 2009 - 06:31 AM

I have mx 51,s on my 08 450 and notice They stick real good in Hardpack
as well as loose as my local track varies but they wear fast i got 4 motos out of a rear and replaced it and im a b rider

• FinchFan194

Posted August 01, 2009 - 08:58 PM

After reading Beaz's post I will stick with my Starcross tires.

• saccityfire

Posted August 02, 2009 - 04:35 PM

Review as promised (Dunlop 742FA vs MX31 (80/100-21) front and Dunlop 756 vs MX51 (120/80-19) rear:

Rode Mammoth Bar OHV in CA (fairly tight track with a lot of turns) Sunday from 08:30 till about 12:00. I ran 5, 20 minute motos (give or take). The track was prepped really well so it was mostly tacky in the corners and a few areas of dry hard and rocky. Unfortunately, they did jack up the entry to the first of the two table tops on the home stretch with a bunch of silt that was spread from the corner to halfway up the face:foul:

I ran @ 12 lbs front and rear as the rocks aren't large enough for a pinch flat.

Observation #1 The 09' YZ450 needs more power to deal with the increased straight line grab of the 51. I couldn't hammer 3rd out of a tight corner without a lot of clutch use and with the 756 it was no problem (The centerline knobs are taller than the 756 and the rubber is harder)

#2 Tacky corners with or without ruts may as well have been rails. The bike stuck to and readjusted to lines as I aimed and pulled the trigger. The unsure feeling I had with 742 is gone:banana:

#3 dry corners either flat or over a breaking hill, tires had a really nice feedback with controlled slip of the rear (on brakes or gas) and the front stayed put no matter what I threw at it.

#4 The silt still sucked and I couldn't get over the now jacked up table due to either no speed or ass end getting loose up the face (maybe my skill level but nobody there cleared it). Acceleration was better though through a silt trough to a short straight.

#5 As always there was a spot that they over water on a straight setting up for a sharp left that the 742 always pushed through and felt as though I was gonna slide out and lose it. The 31 ran straight and true through this mess without even the slightest concern.

#6 There is a nice 60ft table on the back side that I was over clearing with the new tires and the same throttle so I backed of a bit and it was golden.

#7 Almost no noticeable wear to either front or rear. Perhaps lack of power reduced wear to rear however the 756 with a similar break in wore three times as much as the 51.

#8 Sorry, no trail ride or feedback.

Overall: Get a Dr.D pipe for the YZ! Confidence was increased as I was able to select from many lines and stick to them while passing. No slip though mud. Controlled slipping on dry. Glued to corners (YZ450's famous mid corner push is gone). Far better wear than either previous tire. These are my new shoes of choice and I will be re-buying the same as I wear these unless I find some hidden evil trait when down on tread a bit. (I will report it if I notice this):thumbsup:

And rated on 10 scale 742FA 4/10, 756 8/10, MX31 10/10, MX51 9/10

Let me know if you have any questions! :worthy:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.