re pack white bros

7 replies to this topic
  • RCJIM

Posted July 29, 2009 - 12:07 PM

Looked for a thread about "how to" repack your exhaust, i know drill the rivots pull it apart pull out old and put in new, but wondering if there is some pictures etc.. not experienced with rivots

• RCJIM

Posted July 29, 2009 - 12:34 PM

should i use a drill bit the same size as the inside of the rivot? like a number 9?? which size rivots do you use and where do you get them?and is it better to buy a better rivot gun or a cheap one

• redneckracer1966

Posted July 29, 2009 - 12:54 PM

Use a drill bit one size larger than the center of the rivet. When drilling it out, drill until the flat part (head) of the rivet comes off. Do all rivets and pull the end cap off. Then you can remove the rest of the rivet by pulling out from the inside. One trick i use on my white brothers pipe in to wrap sewing thread around the packing to keep it tight during intallation. Also go back with titanium rivets, if you can. I can't find them but I know they're out there. I also like to apply a little high temp silicone to the inside of the end cap. Helps hold it and dampens vibrations a little. I had a huge problem with blowing the cap off before i started doing that.

• redneckracer1966

Posted July 29, 2009 - 12:56 PM

As for the rivet gun. Depends on how much you use it. If it's just to pack your pipe then a cheap one's ok. It's the rivets that matter. DO NOT USE ALUMINUM RIVETS! They won't last two rides, I know. Use stainless if you can't find the tianium ones.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RCJIM

Posted July 30, 2009 - 03:19 AM

SWEEET thanks for the info guys

• ben_suhard

Posted July 30, 2009 - 04:49 AM

SWEEET thanks for the info guys

It was actually only one guy who replied, but he posted twice just to confuse you!

• RCJIM

Posted July 30, 2009 - 11:56 AM

well your post help sooo much hahaha

• ben_suhard

Posted July 30, 2009 - 04:34 PM

Glad to be of service!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.