WR450 ID Numbers and flywheels and conspiracies

4 replies to this topic
  • timvv51

Posted March 28, 2003 - 07:27 AM

My ID numbers differ somewhat from what have been given on the posts relating to the tsb on the flywheel. Somebody enlighten me. On Rowdy's post he lists the serial #s affected as CJ04W-0000037 to CJ04W-0003669. Mine is JYACJO4313A000???. Of course the ??? is for privacy and I am assuming the hyphen in Rowdys is to shorten and leave out several unnecessary numbers and maybe even leaving off the JYA is for brevity but I have no W in mine. Is it possible they stopped the run of bikes and started it back up (after correcting the problem) with a different series of numbers. My bike is about dead center of the listed ID numbers that have failed (except for the possible discrepancy in #s) and I have 2 enduros and about 250 hard trail rides on mine and no problems.

• bleedblue

Posted March 28, 2003 - 07:30 AM

You posted the vin # the serial # is above the clutch cover stamped on the engine. It is kind of hidden under thehead pipe so it hard to see.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • timvv51

Posted March 28, 2003 - 07:49 AM

Yup, you are right about one thing, it is hard to see. It is on a boss like a car and a Harley so I am sure your right that that is the engine # but check this it reads J314E-001974. That relates even less to the aforementioned numbers. Enlighten me some more please.

• bleedblue

Posted March 28, 2003 - 07:59 AM

Mine reads the same except for the last 4 digits. I dont know if the J314E means that our engines were produced a a different time, in a second batch or what, maybe someone can enlighten me.

• Rowdy

Posted April 07, 2003 - 07:16 AM

Of course the ??? is for privacy and I am assuming the hyphen in Rowdys is to shorten and leave out several unnecessary numbers and maybe even leaving off the JYA is for brevity

Nope, data is unchanged, and copy pasted directly from the dealer's "service bulletin"! However, my official federal roadworthiness certificate, too, contains a longer string (JYACJ04WX3A0030??) as the official vehicle id.

I'll check what the actual year+model code for the '03 WR450Fs is next time at my dealer's. The WR400Fs of old had 5BF and the YZ400Fs were 5BE, easily recognizeable on various parts of my WR400F that had 5BE molded into them if they were identical to the YZ but, 5BF for WR4000F only parts.

These model codes typically do change every year, even within the various WR426F years. The Yamaha model code is my favourite way of specifying model/year and configuration when ordering spare parts (my '98 european WR400F was 5BF1 for instance) much safer than "year of making" or said odd serial numbers.

Rowdy

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.