Would you hold off?

30 replies to this topic
  • timvv51

Posted March 28, 2003 - 01:43 PM

Thanks wrench believe I will have one. I plan to be a thousand miles from home next week with a half dozen friends and riding a Yamaha but it wont be the WR. I believe I will err on the side of caution and not take the chance of my friends haveing to deal with towing me 50 miles back to the truck and ruining a trip. Its good to be cautious sometimes, whether your spending $7000 on a dirt bike or planning a special trip. Thats how some of us have lived as long as we have and drunk as many beers as we have.

• Wrench

Posted March 28, 2003 - 01:44 PM

"Hmmm, at leat it is not up my ass"

I guess two beers apparently effects your spelling.

• RCannon

Posted March 28, 2003 - 02:10 PM

I think you have to buy it. After all, your wife said it is ok.

Everytime I buy something that the wife ok's, it works well. I have had cars and motorcycles catch on fire. The bad stuff was always the stuff she said no to.

I would be afraid of my current bike blowing up if she gave me permission for something new.

• Jonesy920

Posted March 28, 2003 - 02:20 PM

I believe I will err on the side of caution and not take the chance of my friends haveing to deal with towing me 50 miles back to the truck and ruining a trip.

I had to get towed back last week, but because of a broken chain. Did it ruin the trip, hell no !!! Just an other adventure. To be honest the only time this damn woodruff key gets me worried is everytime I log on to the forum. Am I happy I bought this bike instead of the KTM I had on hold. Most definately, maybe people have forgotten the recall on the triple clamps, I would rather shear a key than smash into a tree. But I am going to lap and loctite the crank. This bike is hot :D :)

• timvv51

Posted March 28, 2003 - 02:31 PM

Yeah, I know what you guys are sayin. I think its a great bike. Like I said I have around 350 miles on it and 2 enduros, but I am going with some guys that are meticulous planners and I do have another good scooter. Broke a chain huh, hope it wasnt from neglect, bet it was from roostin huh. I have never spun a flywheel and someone said it could do damage to the crank. Zatso. Tim

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jonesy920

Posted March 28, 2003 - 02:49 PM

The reason I broke the chain is another long story, but in short the case bolt that holds the bracket for the carb drain tubes vibrated out and went through the counter shaft sprocket, damaging several links. :D :) Check the bolts after break in !!!!

• sabooo

Posted March 28, 2003 - 02:54 PM

Everytime I buy something that the wife ok's, it works well. I have had cars and motorcycles catch on fire. The bad stuff was always the stuff she said no to.

This is one of the fairer sex's lesser known super-powers.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted March 28, 2003 - 05:23 PM

I have to be honest, I've only clicked on the Woodruff key posts a couple of times since I've had my 450... When I first got the bike I had the dealer check it (it was good). I put the first 100 miles on it and checked it again, it was good again, and I have a low Vin# too. My previous bike was an 01 WR426, it was the best bike I've owned up until the 450, it just had too many miles on it and it was time... If I were you I'de get it and check the torque on the flywheel and forget about it. I can promise you that the 04 will not even have an issue with this though, Yamaha is well aware of this and will address the issue. For now it's just up to all of us to check it before we ride.. I'm really happy with my new bike and I think you'de really like it too.....

Good luck were all counting on you... :)

Dan

• FNG241_WR450F

Posted March 28, 2003 - 06:00 PM

My dealer, Brewer Cycles, in Henderson, NC, knew about the problem and fixed it as a precaution before I ever laid eyes on it. I've had absolutely no problems. I've owned a few Yamahas and seem to keep buying them because I've always appreciated their quality. Once you get that green light from the wife, you need to buy!!! Before she changes her mind!

• Ronnie Mac

Posted March 28, 2003 - 06:33 PM

Misery loves company! :DYou only live once. :DWhen in doubt salute :D It really is a gamble. How bad do you want one and how long can you wait? I have about 200 miles on mine no problems yet. If you buy one and in doubt check rotor tightness. I think this is all blown out of porportion.If I knew what I know now and could stand to wait I would give it a year. Or buy a bike thats been out for 2 or more years. Thats all I have to say about that :)

• jackalope

Posted March 28, 2003 - 07:05 PM

Uhhhhh No!!!! I wouldn't and I didn't. This bike is so fun. If it breaks I'll fix it. Just the same as a chain or any other part. Like the CRF 450 there are bugs to work out. So what! My ford truck had a recall and I dont regret it. Bottom line is that I have not seen one post that said Yamaha or their dealer isn't fixing it. I have checked several dealers in my area and they have not seen it yet. One told me to check the torque and go ride!!!
So I did!!!!!!!!!
No probs......yet.....fingers crossed!!!! Pin it!!!!!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.