Did a MX magazine convert a WR450 to YZ?

11 replies to this topic
  • rkwfxd1

Posted July 28, 2009 - 06:59 PM

My buddy told me that a couple of months ago one of the motocross magazines took a WR450F and removed the lights and did a bunch of other stuff to it in an effort to make it more like a YZ450 with e-start. He could not remember the magazine. I have searched via google but can not find the article. Did anyone see it and does anyone know what magazine did it?

Thanks

• jswr450

Posted July 28, 2009 - 09:50 PM

Yes. Dirt Bike magazine in the August issue.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 29, 2009 - 05:03 AM

My buddy told me that a couple of months ago one of the motocross magazines took a WR450F and removed the lights and did a bunch of other stuff to it in an effort to make it more like a YZ450 with e-start. He could not remember the magazine. I have searched via google but can not find the article. Did anyone see it and does anyone know what magazine did it?

Thanks

Dirt Bike did not convert a WR to a YZ, they just wanted to make a WR less 'foo-foo' like, and race ready. They succeeded, and were very happy with the results. They removed all the lights, stock harness, and emissions, and went to town on the suspension and motor.

• tribalbc

Posted July 29, 2009 - 06:06 AM

Being Canadian I was just reading this mag last night :thumbsup:
They didn't put much effort into weight loss. They removed the kickstand but didn't even switch to a YZ peg mount. There's more weight savings in that peg mount then the kickstand.
Interesting motor work though. Same as SJMCDon has suggested with swapping just the intake cam and adding a high compression piston. They went the Hot cam route rather than the YZ though.

• rkwfxd1

Posted July 29, 2009 - 06:07 AM

Thanks, I will look for that issue.

• KodaKourage

Posted July 29, 2009 - 06:57 PM

Wouldn't it be easier to drop a WR bottom end into a YZ frame? Hide the battery around the airbox and go?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted July 29, 2009 - 08:57 PM

Wouldn't it be easier to drop a WR bottom end into a YZ frame? Hide the battery around the airbox and go?

Of course but in CA it wouldnt be green sticker :thumbsup:

• Looks450

Posted July 30, 2009 - 12:42 AM

IS there anywhere i can see this article. I cant get the mag?

• rkwfxd1

Posted July 30, 2009 - 06:54 AM

IS there anywhere i can see this article. I cant get the mag?

You are not missing much. 13.5:1 piston with stock bore, Hot Cams intake cam, Dr.D Exhaust and jetting to make it all work. Stiffer springs and re-valve on the forks and shock. Remove head light and kick stand and replace rear fender with YZ fender. Fast flex handle bars, carbon fiber skid plate, steering dampner.

Can't remember any other changes and my son just left with the magazine.

• tribalbc

Posted July 30, 2009 - 07:09 AM

Head porting and a bit of valve work.

The article does seem to point to the idea of intake cam swap, HC piston being a good mod for our motors.

• J_mad18

Posted July 30, 2009 - 07:10 AM

They said it was over 50 ponies... and E-Start! Sounds like a fun bike to me!

• erickdj

Posted July 31, 2009 - 10:30 AM

I gotta say that I think I've done a much better job than those magazine guys at "converting" my WR. 1.) They used a hotcams intake cam & a high comp piston, along with porting to boost the power. Their bike still ended up feeling "soft". Instead of a high comp piston and porting, I chose to install BOTH cams for an 06 yz. The bike is pretty darn responsive and not "soft". Something tells me that the stock wr exhaust cam is holding them back. Makes me wonder how my bike would work with the yz cams plus a high comp piston and porting.:worthy: 2.) They revalved and resprung the stock wr forks & shock, not surprisingly they didn't find it too adequate for jumps. I went with an easier and cheaper approach by swapping to a complete 07 yz suspension, I really like the results.:thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.