Piston preference?

6 replies to this topic
  • CanadianWR450

Posted July 28, 2009 - 01:14 PM

Anyone have any views as to piston preference?

Any ones better then others in performance/price?

Wisco vs OEM as a example. Any to avoid?

While I'm here, although I have searched the crap out of this, there does not seem to be any draw back to having your cylinder re coated / bored by a reputable shop, vs buying a new one from Yamaha, correct?

• Hempstead

Posted July 28, 2009 - 01:20 PM

Wiesco and pro-x have always been good in my book good quality.

You could go for a slightly higher compression so that you'll still be able to use pumpgas but get some performance gains.

If you stick with you current cylinder id go with a pro-x with a very slightly larger bore. In most situations id go for a bore/replate, this is much chepaer than buying a fresh cylinder from yamaha.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted July 28, 2009 - 05:01 PM

OEM all the way! :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CanadianWR450

Posted July 29, 2009 - 12:39 PM

Wiesco and pro-x have always been good in my book good quality.

You could go for a slightly higher compression so that you'll still be able to use pumpgas but get some performance gains.

If you stick with you current cylinder id go with a pro-x with a very slightly larger bore. In most situations id go for a bore/replate, this is much chepaer than buying a fresh cylinder from yamaha.

NORMALLY I'm all over getting all the performance, but honestly, not needed here. I'm 40, and this is my first off road bike really, picked it up last year.
It's a 04 Canadian model, Air box cut outs, etc, with JD Jetting, Hotcams, and a FMF PowerCore Ti, and honestly, I do not think I'll EVER need more power then the thing has now. It hits hard, and fast, and just keeps pulling.....:thumbsup:

I'll probably go OEM Piston, and have the cylinder plated.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted July 29, 2009 - 01:00 PM

I'll have the cylinder plated.

If your just doing a rebuild, all you need to have done is a quick hone...no need to replate :thumbsup:

• CanadianWR450

Posted July 29, 2009 - 01:09 PM

Dawg, check this thread out, and it will explain my situation a lot better......
http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=804479

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted July 29, 2009 - 02:35 PM

Dawg, check this thread out, and it will explain my situation a lot better......
http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=804479

Ouch :thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.