09 YZ450 rear shock

8 replies to this topic
  • Chop Shop

Posted July 28, 2009 - 09:01 AM

Guys,

I have set the sag, clickers are all set, and I am pretty happy with the bike as it sits. I do have a question though. When you sit on the bike and bounce lightly up and down there seems to be very little damping involved in the inch or so that you are moving up and down.

Coming off years of valved Showa suspension, that little free movement was never felt. Is this normal for the SSS system... Its not a complaint yet, more of an observation.

• grayracer513

Posted July 28, 2009 - 09:14 AM

It's typical of the YZF damping setup, yes. When we re-did mine, one of the only changes we made to the shock was to beef up the rebound stack's initial response. I was shocked (pun not intended) to see how well it worked.

• walent215

Posted July 28, 2009 - 01:39 PM

Guys,

I have set the sag, clickers are all set, and I am pretty happy with the bike as it sits. I do have a question though. When you sit on the bike and bounce lightly up and down there seems to be very little damping involved in the inch or so that you are moving up and down.

Coming off years of valved Showa suspension, that little free movement was never felt. Is this normal for the SSS system... Its not a complaint yet, more of an observation.

just to add to your findings,i noticed when trying to slow the rebound down it took quite a few turns in to get it to start working,i think i ended up at 6 out and i may need to go in some more.im sure a revalve will take care of it but i am going to get everything broke in first.

• Wiz636

Posted July 28, 2009 - 01:45 PM

just to add to your findings,i noticed when trying to slow the rebound down it took quite a few turns in to get it to start working,i think i ended up at 6 out and i may need to go in some more.im sure a revalve will take care of it but i am going to get everything broke in first.

The YZF shocks have very little rebound damping in stock form so your setting of 6 out is not surprising. Weird but true.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Chop Shop

Posted July 30, 2009 - 09:10 PM

hmmm, interesting. Guess ill turn it in a little more until i get it valved

• Chop Shop

Posted October 09, 2009 - 09:05 AM

Im at 8 out and like how it is starting to works. I am still getting used to the different feel from my Hondas. On one of the local tracks there was a down hill kicker that I would hit pretty hard with a little blip of the throttle on my CRF.. I find the YZ wants to kick up under the same scenario.

• grayracer513

Posted October 09, 2009 - 11:34 AM

I find the YZ wants to kick up under the same scenario.

You can't truly resolve this issue without reconfiguring the rebound stack, like I said.

• Chop Shop

Posted October 12, 2009 - 11:47 AM

Gray,

You do your own or send it out?

• grayracer513

Posted October 12, 2009 - 12:11 PM

Did my own with parts and instructions from SMART Performance. The only really special equipment you'd need is a Nitrogen bottle, regulator, and no-loss chuck, but you can assemble the shock using low pressure air, then have it filled at a shop.

Requires good basic skills, but it's otherwise a lot easier than you'd think.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.