unsolved mystery part floating around in my motor.

10 replies to this topic
  • mxmaddman

Posted July 28, 2009 - 08:21 AM

I just tore my motor down and found a snap ring and a washer on my fly wheel stuck to the magnet. I took the clutch side cover off and looked at the idler gears and the snap rings are still on them. I have been into many of these bottom ends and i cant think of where it could have come from. the washers the size of a nickle as is the snap ring. The snap ring is bent u so it happened while it was running.

Any ideas?

• grayracer513

Posted July 28, 2009 - 08:50 AM

To start with, what are we working on?

Secondly, it this an external snap ring (one that goes on the outside of a shaft), or internal?

• mxmaddman

Posted July 28, 2009 - 08:05 PM

To start with, what are we working on?

Secondly, it this an external snap ring (one that goes on the outside of a shaft), or internal?

07 450
External

I picked it up for 1400 blown up. Looks like it will need a crank up rebuild and all new lower case bearings. I figure about $1000 into it should get it back up and going. It wasn't even ridden a year, it just wasn't taken care of. Purchased new in early 08 grenaded in fall 08 The filter was never cleaned or oiled, oil never changed which eventually led to catastrophe as usual on 4 strokes. It was neglected bad!

I will post a pic.
Posted Image

Check out the handful of metal left from the top end blowing.
Posted Image

more carnage.
Posted Image

• mxmaddman

Posted July 28, 2009 - 08:07 PM

Oops I just noticed its an internal snap ring.

• grayracer513

Posted July 28, 2009 - 08:17 PM

Piston clip. Doesn't really matter where the washer came from in the condition that's in.

I was under the impression from your original post that the clip and washer were the only bits of flotsam loose in an otherwise healthy engine. The way things actually are, it's really immaterial.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mxmaddman

Posted July 28, 2009 - 08:36 PM

Piston clip. Doesn't really matter where the washer came from in the condition that's in.

I was under the impression from your original post that the clip and washer were the only bits of flotsam loose in an otherwise healthy engine. The way things actually are, it's really immaterial.

Yea, I was more are less playing detective trying to find out exactly what caused it to happen, what failed first. I wasn't the first one to tear into this mess. Upon further inspection ... and seeing as to how i just counted and its missing one piston cirlip and one washer from the cylinder studs I have found my parts. I guess since they were inside the motor i must have assumed they came from the bottom end to begin with. wasn't expecting to find parts the PO dropped in it while disassembling it (I received it reassembled). I think his snap ring pliers must be a flat head. :thumbsup:

Do you know of a company that repairs heads? The seats are OK and just need a recut, but it needs valve guides and one of the bores for the spring buckets was messed up.I need to find out if its repairable or paper weight..

Posted Image
Posted Image

• ben_suhard

Posted July 28, 2009 - 10:21 PM

07 450... it just wasn't taken care of. Purchased new in early 08 grenaded in fall 08 The filter was never cleaned or oiled, oil never changed which eventually led to catastrophe as usual on 4 strokes. It was neglected bad!

Wow!:thumbsup: That's scary.

• grayracer513

Posted July 29, 2009 - 06:04 AM

Engine Dynamics does a really good job for a reasonable price.

The washer may have been dropped on disassembly, but clip was probably not. My guess is that it was part of the cause of the failure due to being installed incorrectly.

• SXP

Posted July 29, 2009 - 10:14 AM

I picked it up for 1400 blown up.

Damn! I hope there's something salvagable in that motor.

For $1400 there had better be a bike attached to that engine:smirk:

• mxmaddman

Posted July 31, 2009 - 06:15 AM

Damn! I hope there's something salvageable in that motor.

For $1400 there had better be a bike attached to that engine:smirk:

Yes LOL a very nice bike. Only with trashed plastic, which didn't matter because i had a set of new take off oem white plastics waiting for install when i got it home.:thumbsup: Its going to be a sweet bike when i get it done. 99% of the bolts on it had never had a wrench taken to them.. the motor was a different story tho. It doesn't really matter to me tho it actually works out because every bike i buy used gets a crank, topend kit and valves before i even ride it. I have rebuilt a handful of grenaded motors for others, but this one takes the prize for debris in the motor. This one unfortunately needs a head too. This is my first 450 I have owned, all the rest have been 250s.

• Boise93

Posted July 31, 2009 - 09:39 AM

I'm always amazed at individuals who shell out so much money for a new bike only to destroy it within weeks due to simple ignorance and lack of basic maintenence. When I bought my new 08, I horded every overtime hour I could get just to make the purchase. It was well worth the time spent away from my family and I sure do appreciate the bike.

I hope you gave the guy a good smack, when you got the bike. Keep us posted on the outcome.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.