Acetone as octane booster

9 replies to this topic
  • stev0

Posted July 26, 2009 - 09:52 AM

Has anybody run funny fuels?

"Acetone said to improve the fuel's ability to vaporize completely by eliminating the surface tension that causes an increase in particulate vaporization temperature."

Im almost certain like Methanol, it could damage the rubber tank tubes.

Would Acetone clear up clogged jets?

• Lennie

Posted July 26, 2009 - 11:43 PM

We use it at work and it melts plastic, i wouldnt put that in my bike !!!!!!!

• stev0

Posted July 26, 2009 - 11:55 PM

We use it at work and it melts plastic, i wouldnt put that in my bike !!!!!!!

I meant as an addictive, not pure acetone.

You should be able to run it in a 1% scenario... or am I missing the point completely?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 27, 2009 - 05:01 AM

The only reason to raise octane above pump value is to prevent pre-ignition. You might get better throttle response, but no improvement in HP with the stock compression, IMHO.

• stev0

Posted July 27, 2009 - 05:13 AM

The only reason to raise octane above pump value is to prevent pre-ignition. You might get better throttle response, but no improvement in HP with the stock compression, IMHO.

Safe to run?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Regalman

Posted July 27, 2009 - 09:53 AM

What is your goal? To increase octane or are you buying into the old rumors that it made your get better HP and mileage if you put acetone in your tank?

If you want to increase octane look into toluene and xylene.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 27, 2009 - 10:06 AM

Safe to run?

Define safe!

Take a look at your typical auto parts octane booster; it has tolulyene or similar.

What is the point, anyway?

• stev0

Posted July 27, 2009 - 11:37 PM

Define safe!

Take a look at your typical auto parts octane booster; it has tolulyene or similar.

What is the point, anyway?

As acetone makes fuel atomise better... I thought It could also help clean out the carb?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 28, 2009 - 04:49 AM

As acetone makes fuel atomise better... I thought It could also help clean out the carb?

Most carbs get dirty from dirt, not varnish. And if the Varnish is old enough, 1% acetone will make no difference.............

• Regalman

Posted July 28, 2009 - 06:44 AM

As acetone makes fuel atomise better...

LOL, so it is because you read an internet article.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.