wr400 compression problem

10 replies to this topic
  • wrwiley

Posted July 26, 2009 - 06:00 AM

Hi people hope someone can help!!!

Recently found my wr400 00' model had no compression when kicked over, removed engine from bike and had it stripped down to find piston, rings and valves were well within tolerances. The engine was rebuilt with new gaskets. I then replaced the decomp lever cable as a precaution....The engine is now back in the bike but still no compression!!!!!! Please help im at my wits end!!!! Thanks guys:banghead: :worthy:

• R_Little

Posted July 28, 2009 - 10:13 AM

The same thing happened to me and some others.

It's like a valve sticks open for a while then shuts.

I kicked it once and it was like the decompression lever was pulled.

walked away came back later and it was fine again.

Has not ever happend again in over 4 yrs?

• matt4x4

Posted July 29, 2009 - 08:09 AM

if it sits for too long the oil will drip off the rings and cylinder walls, causing a no compression scenario, usually kicking it over a number of times holding the auto decomp open will get enough oil back onto the rings to get it up in compression.
Sometimes, a valve will stick open and cause the same problem, just keep kicking and it should come back...

• diegox450

Posted July 29, 2009 - 08:13 AM

Read my post, it happened to me a few weeks ago

http://www.thumperta...4519&highlight=

Pour a little oil inside the cylinder, by the spark plug hole, and she will came to life in a few kicks

Good luck!

• diegox450

Posted July 29, 2009 - 08:14 AM

BTW could be too much tension in the decomp lever cable ????

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • glentron

Posted July 29, 2009 - 12:05 PM

I was working on my friends bike last night and the spark plug was loose.
Are you sure your is tight?

• pablo83

Posted July 30, 2009 - 11:08 AM

Another common problem is a slipped cam gear. If the top end was recently apart and then you took it for a ride and it lost power and hasn't started since then this is probably your issue. The timing marks will still be correctly alligned, but the cam lobes have moved and are not allowing sufficient compression. If you think this is your issue, do a search for it or PM me and I'll send you some links when I get back in town in a few days.

• vvarasv

Posted August 01, 2009 - 06:30 PM

You don't have compression??....I think it could be the Timing Chain... my father has the same problem in his 2001 wrf 400.... he replace the chain and the problem was solved....

hope it helps you:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• bennyboy25

Posted October 13, 2010 - 10:31 AM

am having same problem at moment just lost power and stopped, any advice appreciated, av still got sum compression but not half as much as wat i had before, were the hell do i start

• vvarasv

Posted October 14, 2010 - 04:06 AM

mmm...lost power?
It may be valves or the piston rings...:smirk:
luck

• bennyboy25

Posted October 15, 2010 - 12:01 AM

Timing chain is as slack as a bag of nackers, tensioner fully adjusted, so mi chain is due replacing thanks guys for the advice

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.