Stripped Oil Drain Hole

10 replies to this topic
  • Sean_McCutcheon

Posted March 27, 2003 - 03:13 AM

Last year I stripped my oil drain hole and ended up putting a recoil in it to repair it. After the repair I still had a little oil leak. I believe the oil was just getting around the recoil. So I put a spark plug washer on the drain bolt because it would seal the leak and it did. But it only will last one oil change and then the washer is unuasable again.

Does anyone have a suggestion on what to do to keep this from leaking? Is there any other type of washers that I could use that will last longer than a spark plug washer?

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted March 27, 2003 - 03:36 AM

Sean, I had the same problem with my 01 WR426. Even after doing the cleanest recoil job I could do the thing slowly dripped oil. I told this to my buddy at the dealership and he gave me a fiber washer from the YZ model to slip on the drain plug, no more leak. I suggest you do this too. Good luck.......

Dan :)

• Sean_McCutcheon

Posted March 27, 2003 - 05:21 AM

Dan, do you know if you can get those fiber washers at the hardware?

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted March 27, 2003 - 06:05 AM

Sean, I'm not too sure if you can get them at the hardware store. Your friendly Yamaha dealership should have them in stock, if you don't have a dealership near you I could probably get you one from my guy. I won't be going there this week but I need to pick up my IMS tank within the week and I could get you one and put it in the mail..

Let me know,

Dan

• sabin

Posted March 27, 2003 - 06:56 PM

You can also try with plumber's teflon tape...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yamaha250f

Posted March 27, 2003 - 07:06 PM

and ended up putting a recoil in it to repair it

Did you do this yourself? If not how much did it cost you?

• cowboyona426

Posted March 27, 2003 - 07:29 PM

You could also try a copper washer from a hardware store, that is what my YZ had stock. I have a Zip-Ty drain plug now, and it has a different washer- appears to be zinc, but I'm not sure what it is made of.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted March 27, 2003 - 07:30 PM

Did you do this yourself? If not how much did it cost you?

I had to bite the bullet and buy the kit, (I think I paid around $65.00) what a rip.... Then I didn't have the correct drill bit (another 10 bucks).

• cowboyona426

Posted March 27, 2003 - 07:52 PM

I had to bite the bullet and buy the kit, (I think I paid around $65.00) what a rip

$65 for a helicoil kit? I'd say that's a rip! Holy crap! I've seen those things for like $25 I think! Were they gold plated heli-coils or something? :)

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted March 28, 2003 - 03:48 AM

Cowboy, I've see recoil kits for way less but when you get into the bigger metric sizes it gets expencive (and hard to find). You can get a smaller SAE or metric kits for around 30 bucks.

Cheers, dan

• Sean_McCutcheon

Posted March 28, 2003 - 08:33 AM

I paid 10 bucks to have it done by a local guy who does bike work on the side. He had all the recoils and tools on hand, so it didn't cost me much.

I went to a hardware store yesterday and they gave me this white washer that looks like plastic. He said that they use it on older model chevy and ford drain bolts. I forget what it is actuall made of. I just told him what my problem was and he said that this should fix it.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.